Wednesday 6 December 2006

Worst Dispatching Ever

4 December – My alarm woke me at its normal time of half six but today, rather than pressing snooze I turned the alarm off accidentally.  I thought I reset it for 640 but apparently I didn’t so I was a late boy this morning.  Called up kurt to let him know the situation but he told me he was off today and when I logged on and told them I was running late I was just given an urgent job from the far end of town.  It turns out that the normal substitute had left the company and the fleet manager was doing the bikes today – and ... He was crap.  Apparently used to be a driver and dispatcher for cars but had no idea at all how to handle bike channel.  One of the first jobs in the morning was going out to Neutral Bay (which turned out to be closer to Mosman) - should have taken that as a sign of things to come.  Trips were constantly coming on and off my screen as he changed his mind, I ended up doing a whole bunch of work that I wasn’t paid for (but, I think I was also paid for a bit of work that I didn’t actually do).  One of the few times when I actually spoke to dispatch he admitted that he couldn’t keep up with the bikes.  Fair enough, I thought, but come on, get someone who can then or at least monitor the channel so you know what’s going on.  Every time I bumped into another Toll guy their would be a torrent of abuse towards the sinister little O2 device in their hands. I would have to say it was the absolute worst dispatching I have ever had.  Jobs put on multiple bikers, constantly being sent to places where the trips were far too big, minimal communication and EVERYTHING was late (most of the time it was late before it had been given to us).  That said, there was actually plenty of work (and good stuff too) to go around and knowing that it was pure incompetence and not some sinister agenda against me being the reason for the ridiculousness of the day made for a relatively satisfying day.  Had a beer with Kurt (the regular dispatcher who had been off to tend to his biking injuries) to console myself and extracted a promise from him that he would be in in the morning.  
... Sometimes I wish I had a friend who’d make me cupcakes and home made ice cream.  Where do I find me one of those?

No comments: