Sunday 10 December 2006

Birthdays, Birthdays and More F**kin' Birthdays

10 December – Today me old mam, me old mate and a combined party for my little mate Dylan along with a couple of his contemporaries.  Great thing about kids parties is that there’s lots of sugar, lots of energy (none of it needing to be expended by me) and its all over by a reasonable hour.  Unfortunately, combination of recovery from Thursday’s illness (and hopefully not the start of a new one) plus excess of ‘that time of year’ celebration (not that I was imbibing a hell of a lot of cheer) meant that even finishing at the reasonable hour left me spent and lying on the couch drifting in and out of consciousness – read a bit, wrote a bit, tried to watch a movie (Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind – one of the better existential mainstream cinema experiments, certainly a hell of a lot better than ‘I Heart Huckabees’ [and it was ‘Heart’ not ‘Love’]) but the last fifteen minutes degraded into jerky frame by frame crap (I predict that one of the great mistakes of the 21st century will be the DVD – awesome in capacity and convenient for storage but they just do not last – information is just too tightly packed on a far too fragile medium and it will only get worse with the Blu-Ray and the HD-DVD).  Was woken from my slumber by my hapless housemate who’d locked herself out of the apartment she was housesitting (and coincidentally locked herself out of the apartment she lived in because she left her own keys in the other one) - hope it worked out for her.  Really shouldn’t have pushed the envelope any further but Ade decided that he would have a small get together to celebrate his birthday (probably jealous of his son getting all the attention in the morning) and headed over Leichhardt way where the Old Caesar’s has reopened – renamed the Petersham Inn and carefully scrubbed of the seediness of the inner west’s favourite gay bar and also expertly cleaned out of any charm or character it once might have had. How publicans think that blonde wood, fluorescent lighting and high static carpet can replace the beauty of beer stained benchtops and colourful local characters I’ll never know.  Was also ordered to remove my hat upon entering the place – what’s all that about?

No comments: