Monday 25 December 2006

Inefficient Bliss

24 December – As I left the house I realised that I needed my errands were going to take me in conflicting directions and I automatically started trying to route the most efficient (or least inefficient) path for the day then I told myself that I wasn’t working and I wasn’t in a rush and, damn it, I was going to take the least efficient route there was.  Hence backtracked from Redfern to Glebe to Surrey to Redfern South to Redfern without a care in the world.  Sometimes efficiency isn’t all its cracked up to be.  Second venture out to Newtown for a DVD was also incredibly inefficient when a well organised plan to order Chinese food from Chippendale (Chippendale?) was thwarted by a Christmas closure and it was back to Newtown again without a huge amount of fuss.  The fact that a second journey had to be made at 2230 in order to utilise the discount rate for returning it within six hours was not so much fun.  Still, the 24 hour video store is a great concept – similar to the idea of using the post but a bit more practical and even though there isn’t the option of all you can rent for a set fee they don’t have the option of cutting you off if you’re borrowing more than you pay for (which all of them seem to do apparently).  The system would be great if it worked and it seems to work alright – you can’t expect something like this not to have teething problems.

No comments: