Friday 8 December 2006

This Rookie Knows Best

7 December – Matt dropped me off at home by about 720 and, having swapped shifts with Dottie, I found myself with a fair amount of time to kill. Thought about being productive but went with watching a movie instead – didn’t get to watch all of ‘Quicksilver’  due to time constraints but did get a good taste of it.  Have wanted to watch this movie ever since Kate told me of its existence – the only mainstream movie about the immortal class and starring no less than the Man of Six Degrees himself (who can do some pretty incredible bike tricks unless it was merely trick photography).  Every courier I’ve ever spoken to has seen it and they all seem to have a special place for it in their hearts despite admitting that it’s really not very good (guy has it all, loses everything, finds himself with a new expression, finds a girl, beats a bad guy – ah, the 80s, if nothing else it gave us some good formulas).  However, I can’t say that I currently share the sentiment at the ending where the message is very clear that anyone who is in messengering will only be happy when they are out of it (be they become stock brokers, paramedics or owners of a hot dog stand).  Maybe one day I will share the sentiments.  BUT NOT THIS DAY.  When I finally did start had a pretty average day – bit of racing around, some efficient, some not, some sitting down and some standing up.  Had a few troublesome drops throughout the day – I tell you one thing, when I finally do decide to leave this sordid business on my last day some of Sydney’s receptionists, mailroom clerks and security guards are going to cop it sweeeet.  Wasted 25m waiting for a ticket to show up at Flight Centre before abandoning it to its fate (I hope that person misses their flight and sues that place – the despatch centre for Flight Centre never has anything ready for us on time).  Whilst on the phone discussing the intricacies of mail merging I overheard some wanker calling me a rookie again – I don’t know what defines one as being a rookie and maybe I still am but if I am then I’m happy to be one and that particular gentleman can go wash his hair for all I care.  

No comments: