Tuesday 19 December 2006

Is This A Task for The Immortal Class?

19 December – A lot of presents today – no wine bottles because we’re not allowed but big diaries, boxes of chocolates and even lead bricks at times – not very pleasant to take over the bridge. Wouldn’t a card have sufficed?  Afternoon was broken for an hour by my first ‘helper’ job – basically helping a driver load his van.  A hundred boxes of pink ribbons, pins and brochures had to be taken out to a storage facility and I was nominated to load the truck.  The driver seemed a bit irritating at first and a bit irritating later on but the girls helping to load the truck were quite nice and it was all over eventually.  These trips happen every once in a while – did the occasional carry boxes of printing all over UTS with Crisis – apparently they pay okay but it made me want to take a shower afterwards.  If it’s not on a bike it’s not something I want to do.  Late in the afternoon got a call from Kurt asking me if I was interested in a little run – it would involve a giant coathanger – at first I thought it was moving a suit but was soon set straight that it was a late afternoon bridge run – a danger as the time involved in just crossing at that time of the day meant a high chance of rocking up to a place to find it closed – was called by one of the office girls frantically confirming that I’d be able to make a north side drop, last pick on the north side was futile because they’d already closed (best paying job of the lot as well and somebody is definitely going to get in trouble for it being missed tomorrow – it certainly won’t be me though) and last drop on city side was also closed but managed to squeeze it into the dockmaster’s office.  Gave up the opportunity to join a vigilante group who’d formed to recover the possessions of one of the courier’s (Reed had his valuables nicked from the hostel by a couple of evil Frenchmen and he’d located their current hideout) - am hoping the items are recovered with a minimum of violence.  
I’ve finally finished ‘The Ground Beneath Her Feet’ - Salman Rushdie’s epic and poetic homage to rock’n’roll and the legend of Orpheus and Eurydice (that’s euri-di-see, not yuri-dice apparently) has been conquered.  I don’t know what the problem was – it was enjoyable, a bit difficult to read at first but not too much of a stretch – for some reason I was struggling to get through two pages a night.  Every time I picked it up my eyes would shut down and I’d see double.  But, it’s done.  Now I’ve got to find something else to read ...

No comments: