Sunday 3 December 2006

I need a virgin

24 november - Before I'd even had a chance to properly embrace the morning
my mobile was ringing with Butters on the other end informing me of some
expresses out of downtown. Upon arrival everything seemed fine but amongst
the haul there was the first of the misaddresed jobs that I got from the day
- all sorted out pretty easily but not before a bit of backtracking and
painful explanations via the crappy text interface. The day was pretty
smoove although did have to carry an enormous file (one that I wasn¹t even
supposed to pick up but somehow found it in my bag after a security guard
sent me to wrong pickup place) all over town (up to Central where I got
locked in a carpark and a circuitous route over the bridge) - even when I
got to North Sydney with it of course it had to be last thing I was able to
drop. Apparently I havent sacrificed enough virgins to the courier gods to
satisfy them (I thought being an atheist would mean I wouldn¹t have to worry
about them too much). At the end of the day was offered a huge paying
Bridge-City-Edgecliff run but it was taken away before I had a chance to
accept - Indian givers (is it only racist if you say that in the USA?) -
either way, was happy to have a beer by that stage and there was a Critical
Mass ride across the harbour bridge which a few of the couriers were
planning on doing (never really went in for the whole critical mass
experience but the occasional special one like this can be quite a time).
Reasonably enjoyable, a fair bit of showing off by the various couriers,
near the end of the bridge where it came onto the highway a little boy rode
right in front of me and, unable to stop, I found myself with the option of
either bailing or crashing right into the back of him. Knowing the response
that would have ensued had he been injured (I can't imagine anyone giving
too much sympathy to a courier hitting a child) I took the former option.
Not really sure what I did but I think I jumped over the handlebars and
landed on my feet and somehow managed to catch Chevette before she hit the
ground too hard. Either way, a brilliant save with minimal loss of dignity
and kin. Very annoying though, even if you are a child, look where you're
f**king going.
Tonight was also poker night being hosted at Nick's very nice Surry Hills
place - few little hiccups to starting the night, namely being Rowan's
extreme intoxication upon the time of arrival which resulted in loss of
poker chips and even the cards but despite this minor setback some very
enjoyable gambling was embraced by the rest of us. Ade brought cards and we
used matches for chips (counting them seemed to be a bit beyond my Scottish
friend's capacities and there was a fair bit of accusation coming from that
side of the table) - despite not winning anything it was not an expensive
loss and I did get a slight kick of satisfaction by calling the Scot's bluff
in the first round of the second game and wiping him completely out of the
game. Still didn¹t stop the obnoxiousness unfortunately. Also serious
contact lens dramas throughout the night. Not good.

No comments: