Wednesday 23 November 2005

Sure I don't wear a helmet ... but I don't wipe out either!!!

21 November - Fog was still pretty instense on Monday morning, and visibility was pretty poor as well as temperature being pretty poor too - had really settled into the weekend, hadn't done too much other than enjoy the fact that it was the week's end so I wasn’t too happy about it itself ending. Quaint. Went to the courier coffeeshop and argued with coffee maker over how she was going to make my coffee (canadians have some funny ideas) and went out to drink it. Ot into a conversation with a bitter old lifer - he started talking and I made a casual remark about how cool was and he started to lecture me about what I should be doing for the cold, how what I was doing was completely wrong, how awful the pay is in the industry - especially when one works for Novex, how dangerous the business is - he gave me a bunch of commandments and things I should do and was really quite annoying when all was said and done. Some of the things he said made sense but some of it was just a bitter old man (probably on his 40s but that is really old in this profession if the crowd i've seen is anything to go by) complaining about everything and reall, a guy who doesn't wear a helmet and lectures about safety is a bit of a hypocrit if you ask me.
The day was pretty quiet as far as jobs went - even had time to stop and eat somethng during the day around lunchtime(ish). Unfortunately i'd not brought a sammich and when I did have time I was quite far out of downtown and the first place I found was a McDonalds. The second time i've eaten there since my arrival and each time has been a thoroughly unpleassant experience. The Wendys seems quite good over here but most of the junk franchises (and there are a lot of them although i've not tried them all and hope not to either, unfortunattly I can't promise anything) that i've tried have been very offputting - chips from all of the chains generally seem pretty bad and the mains are just okay to pretty awful. While I was eating a huge ruckus erupted from the mens washroom - the sound of one man beatingthe hell out of another and screaming profanities at the top of his voice. Everyone was pretty shocked until we realised that there was just one guy in the washroom and he was just making as much noise as he could, screaming 'Asshole! Asshole!!! I'm going to f**k you up, Asshole!' over and over whilst kicking the wall for about five minutes. Then, all of a sudden, the door opened and he strode out of the place. And everythingwent back to normal.
Agonised over the markets after work trying to buy some foodstuffs spent far too long in the video store searching for something I hadn't seen, wanted to see (despite having my list of films to see the ones I found whilst being films I wanted to see where not films I wanted to see RIGHT NOW) - eventuallydecided on The Machinist. Very good although cliched psychodrama about a very thin man. I'm not even going to start trying to explain my objections to the overused theme of imaginary bad guys revealing aspects of someone's past but it was as good as any of its thematic cousins and better than most. And Christian Bale's performance as a crazy thin guy was incredible - I would go so far as to say that it was Oscar deserving - that is not to say that his acting was just of a consumate skill and showed the actor's complete immersion in the role, although I would argue that this is also the case - but the reason why it was Oscar deservingis because there were ample numbers of scenes where one just listen to one of his OTT rants, and I would imagine him turningto the camera and start saying 'I'd like to thank the Academy'.
Anyway - good film - tired, but i'm sure i'll be good to go in the morning.

No comments: