Tuesday 1 November 2005

I Got Skillz

All Hallow's Eve - Woke up pretty early in order to get to the agency interview on time. First time i've worn a tie in about six months and I was fighting the gag reflex all morning. The addressing system over here is slightly different to home, they use a dash instead of a slash for suite numbers and I spent about 15 minutes looking for 433 Burrard only to be told later that that was the suite number. But, found it without too much trouble. Charmed the socks off the receptionist and blitzed the spelling and IQ tests they gave me at first. The recruiter I spoke to thought had just been living in Prague and recognised my name and swarthy good looks as someone from that region she'd even been to the spa in Bardejov when she'd been living there so we had lots to chat about. They mainly do recruiting for University of British Columbia so I'll probably get a job out there for a little while, at least until I can start with Novex. I then had to do some computer competency tests for typing, Word, Excel and Access. It's been a while since I've used them and the tests are really finicky, they don't let you use shortcuts and it's easy for f**k it up if you don't do the procedures in the exact way specified but, being a Microstooge from way back, I got 100% on all of them and my typing speed hasn't suffered from lack of practice either. So, whilst these skills are not exactly career advancing, they should certainly put me in good stead for getting employed while i'm here - the rates are pretty good too. UBC is quite a distance from where I'll be living but that will give me a good opportunity for riding my bike and building up the pistons (the guns have atrophied a bit since I stopped gymming but I should be able to fix that without too much effort I hope). Also, because the job will be at a university, there shouldn't be too much of a requirement to wear anything too formal, which is definitely a good thing.
Afterwards went for a pivo at the Lions Pub, workplace of Lorelei and another girl whose name I can't remember who I met the other day in Davie St.
Tomorrow i'm moving into my house and i'll be able to say my goodbye to The Grand Trunk Hostel, which has served its purpose well enough but there'll be no regrets from leaving.
So, now it won't be long before I stop eating my way through my savings and I'll have something to give me something to do with the days. Things are lookin' up.

No comments: