Thursday 10 November 2005

10-4!!!

9 November - Had my first really good day at work today - the weather was pretty good, a little cold but not wet thankfully, all of my equipment worked (had a few issues with my mechanical pencil but it wasn't life threatening). It wasn't too busy in the morning although it really started to heat up afterwards but apart from a few times when I was really weighed down with packages I found that everything went well. Chris, my dispatcher, wasn't online in the morning, so the driver manager did tat job (and I found him a lot easier to deal with than the norml guy) - I have to presume that BJ (manager) worked his way up from dispatcher considering how well he did it. I also later bumped into Chris down at 885 West Georgia, the hangout for couriers who are between jobs (we don't get much of a chance to go there) - he was trying to recruit couriers from other companies to come and join us. Apparently Novex are one of the busiest, I even spoke to a courier today who told me he rejected an offer from Novex simply because he didn't want to do so many jobs. Still didn't have tme for a proper break despite the early morning and I was reliant on a few granola and chocolate bars I carried with me but I really felt like I enjoyed it. Yesterday I was just miserable but today it was fun and I felt that I was pretty good at it. Starting to learn the lingo - 10-4 means iconfirm, whether you do or not, 'Getting it on' means picking up an item, 'clearing out' means getting rid of items ... Good times, good times. Also had to wait for about 10m for one big thing to be ready and the lovely secretary made me a cup of coffee,some of them ar much nicer than others.
Rode home afterwards - last leg always seems to puff me a bit - I am wondering how many k's i'm doingevery day - there's no way that I could use a computer to track it, anything left on a bike would be quickly stolen, I keep my lights and pump in my bag with me - and removing and replacing the computer at every stop would waste valuable seconds, which I really don'y seem to have; when i'm trying to utilise 'elevator time' (the 10-60s period of relaxation when I can't be bothered on the radio or can't be pushing to the next locale) to do the minimal paperwork required to keep track of everything, I don't have time to waste on such frivolous things such as counting my distance, reading the paper or ... Heaven forbid, eating.
Upon arrival at home me and Rene watched the timeless classic, Withnail and I, very bad sound on the teev, but absolutely brilliant movie. Also had a nice surprise when I arrived home to find the fridge and stove fixed and the whole place cleaned (apparntly Wednesday is cleaner day) sterling job of it too. The landlord turned up as well with two brand new smoke alarms (to get Jason of his back, I expect) and a very small (but presumably functional) mirror for my bathroom.
After the movie me and Rene went to the pub for a couple of Leffes and some seafood, nice local place, very intense barman who was really pushing the hard sell. Very nice area to live around, lots of restaurants, bars, fruit stores, cafes and bakeries ... Very good if you want to eat anyway, and that seems to be what i'm doing at the moment.

No comments: