Saturday 19 November 2005

Blurry but beautiful

17 November - Day started off pretty much as per normal, woke up, washed out my eyes and put in my contacts. Normally it takes a while before my vision completely clears so I headed downstairs and sampled some new granola i'd purchased the previous night. I was reading the news on my PDA when I realised I couldn't see it very well. It appears that my right contact (the one that I need the most because my left eye is so crap that even with a contact it's still pretty useless) had vacated my eye somewhere in the house. Didn't want to panic but my vision was shite and I had to get to work. The only other person in the house, Jason, wasn't much help (he was on a tight schedule) and despite searching everywhere i'd been I had no joy. So, I really had no choice but to head in wearing my glasses (which are not much good at the best of times). Had a flat on the way in and with my eyes in their current state I really wasn't feeling up to changing the tyre so I called into dispatch, telling them I had to sort out some stuff, took it to Simon's (it was going to take an hour so I had to borrow one of their bizarro rental bikes) and tried to find an optometrist. They were all closed until 930 so I did a few jobs before finally getting my bike back and then got in touch with a local lens grinder. Couldn't get in touch with my own optometrist because it was too early but sent off an email to home to see if they could get my prescription sent to Canada - had my first chat with robespiere for quite some time and unfortunattly had to keep it really brief because I was in the middle of a couple of SHTs but he managed to come up with the goods. My Sydney optometrist wanted to get them made there and send them over but that would have taken weeks - i'm blind without them, and he wants to enforce a delay -Robbie had to bear the brunt of my testiness - I probably wouldn't have been so direct if iu'd actually been speaking to the eye doctor himself but I was adamant, "I need the script and I need it right now, there is no argument, just send it to the fax number I gave you, NOW!!!!". Another setback during the day was when I decided that the glasses were doing more harm than good so I put them in my pocket. Are they in my pocket now? No. So, basically, i've lost all ability to see properly at the moment. Pity I could hardly see it because it was actually another spectacular day. When the weather is good, it's such a beauitful city. The mountains are perfectly visible and the air (a bit smoggy at times) is crisp unt light brown (i mean blue). Still managed to do a full day despite the cloudy vision, I was a lot more caeful than normal (not that i'm not usually careful) and the brightness helped. Alo, it really wasn't very busy so there wasn't too much trouble keeping up. Am desperately hoping tomorrow will also be a good day because being blind and wet is not a good combination.
The script was received by the optometrist and they put in the order - hoping to get them by Saturday or Monday, have searched high and low in the house and have had no luck thus far but i'm certain it will be in the premises somewhere - they have to be, I remember putting it into my eye. However, in all likelihood it will probably be found by a shoe rather than a hand or eye. Funny that the same thing happened in Thailand on my last day there but I managed to recover it against all the odds, at least it's happened in the first world where it can be dealt with reasonably painlessly.
Ended up going to Café Deux Soleil for a couple of beers and some open-mic locals with Mark, which was very nice. Stayed out too late and hoping I can get up with not too much trouble in the morning, we'll see.

No comments: