Wednesday 2 November 2005

One Step Closer

1 November - Finally made the move to the new house today - woke up pretty early and went to get some breakfast (I'd run low on foodstuffs and hadn't bothered replacing them) then packed up my stuff and called a taxi. Was told that a van taxi would probably be late because they didn't have many of them but made the booking anyway. As luck would have it one happened to pass the hostel whilst I was waiting for the booking so I grabbed him and loaded everything in (including the bicycle). Whilst we were en route I got a phone call from the taxi company saying my taxi had arrived but it was too late for them by that stage.
Had a bit of a chat with the taxi driver and before I knew it I was at the house. Had a bit of a wait outside the house for the landlord to turn up (it turned out that there was a character home but he was dead to the world) but finally I was in.
At last I got a chance to fully unpack my bag (and do some badly needed washing). A pretty good mix of housemates, I eventually met all of them by the end of the day - Rene (a Canadian tree surgeon); Mark (Canadian IT student); Chad (Canadian chemistry student); Jason (Canadian ... Um, I don't know what his story is) and Tak (I think, a Japanese guy who seems quite nice). Rene had rented out Star Wars III, which he'd never seen and I sporadically watched it whilst I was sorting out my stuff - I forgot how much it almost made up for the travesties of the first two prequels (which, I will admit, I kind of liked).
After that ended I headed out to Richmond to Novex (the courier company) and they basically said that they wanted me to start straight away, initially on foot until my plates come throuh. The way I see it it'll be a good way to get used to the toys, the processes and the streets before I'm on a bike so basically I start tomorrow. I was given a pretty cool uniform (as far as any uniform can be cool) - bike shirt, rain jacket (with detachable sleeves!!!) and shorts (not knicks but over-shorts), and was also given a cool cycling bag, a radio and Blackberry for the orders. BJ, the driver manager, is pretty nice and I met the despatcher, Chris, who is probably an ex-courier by the way he acts. So, tomorrow i'll be traipsing over town being exploited by a large corporation, hurrah!!!

No comments: