Thursday 24 November 2005

The Apprecentice Becomes The Master

22 November - We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I met you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master.
When i arrived in town this morning i went to get my coffee and sat down to become at one with myself before starting off. I was soon approached by a guy in Novex uniform who introduced himself to me as a brand new starter and told me that i'd been selected to train him that day. He was going to ride along with me that day to see how it was done and he would learn from my vast amount of experience in this industry. It was quite fun taking him along - he was in similar circumstances to me actually. Although a native Canadian who'd lived in Vancouver for quite some time he'd spent the past few years working in IT doing boring Quality Assurance (which ive done in the past myself) but got sick of working in an office. He'd been into riding for a while and thought he'd try his hand at couriering. As i've said before it's not rocket science and even the riding isn't terribly difficult - and it wasn't hard to impart what wisdom i had to him. Had a few little stuffups during the early part of the day, including leaving some diamonds behind at one of the sites and he was havinga bit of trouble locking and unlocking his bike at the speed required to keep in constant motion but it was still a pretty busy day on the whole. Asked another courier for directions at one point and he just laughed and said, 'You're a courier and you dont know where Griffiths Way is???' ... 'I've been in the country for three weeks and i've not been there yet.' What kind of idiot says that??? After a long apprenticeship of about four hours i felt that i had taught all i could to my padawan and so i let him go to seek his own fortune. The rest of the day was pretty busy but nothing like i experienced last week or prior. A combination of it being less busy, more bikers and also me getting used to it i suppose. Was also approached by a girl today who had couriered in Edmonton for three years and was interested in doing it over here so it looks like our litttle team is going may get even bigger, as i know they're still looking. Hope there aren't too manyout there or it might start to eat into my meager earnings (not that i know what they are just yet).
Came home and had some sushi for dinner before watching They Live, a conspiracy theory cult movie that i've been wantingto see for years. I was watching it when the hockey was on (had to return it tomorrow) and wen Chad walked he gave a completelycrestfallen 'Oh', his smile disappearingfrom his face when he realised that he could not watch his precious ball sport (does a puck count as a ball???) p it wasnt as if it was a final or anything ... Sheesh. In any event, the movie was pretty short (very entertaining though) so the hockey was back on by the second period and order was restored.

No comments: