Friday 25 November 2005

Another Apprentice

24 November - Ended up heading out to Burnaby (east of where I live) to the party at mark's friend;s house. I rode out there because it wasn't far although the fog was very heavy so I went as slowly as possible (also didn't want to be all sweat at the other end). Had a very enjoyable time - couldn't stay too long because it was a school night. One of the girls had brought Absinthe along and I wowed everyone with my intimate knowledge of the green fairy and all of the ways to imbibe the noxious fluid. Generally, a pretty young crowd which was probably the reason why they were all forcing down as much alcohol as they could in as short a time as possible but on the whole very nice (i realised my age when the topic of favourite movies came up and one girl adamantly said that the best movie ever made was 'A Knights Tale'). Maybe its a Canadian thing.
Got home in the thick fog again - it was very easy to get back, just down one very long street but the fog was so thick that I had to keep on stopping to get a better look at the street signs - completely invisible whilst in motion.
Waking up wasn't too hard, mainly because I woke up from dehydration and with a headache but managed to make my into town where I met my new apprentice. Actually, it was a girl, Crystal, who'd asked me if Novex was looking for couriers on Tuesday. Thy'd got her started pretty quickly because she had quite a lot of experience as a courier in Edmonton (small city somewhere east of here ... Still not good with the geography) but she didn't know Vancouver very well and needed to learn how to use the equipment. She basically trailed me all day - for the most part I just got her to use my Blackberry and do most of the radio calls. We got split up a couple of times when it got pretty busy so she could go and do some extra jobs and at the end of the day she minded the bikes while I ran into the building, saving us valuable seconds with not having to lock up the bike. She'll be out on her own tomorrow - it feels quite strange to be teaching people how to do something that i've only been doing for a few weeks. But, as i've said on many an occasion, it's not rocket science.
PS - Yesterday something exciting did happen - I won a Mars bar. Hurrah.

No comments: