Friday 17 March 2006

Wow, A Pow-Wow ...

15 March - Owen, my less than enthusiastic co-worker called in ill today and Thane is really not working out as well (i'm still not sure of the problem but he seems to sit around just waiting until the jobs are late before he picks them up if Lee is to be believed) so we were effectively down to three bikers today (me, Jason and Nova-Scotia-Stu). A quietish morning that just exploded and went non stop for the entire day, not even a coffee break. I'm not sure if Thane will be around for much longer - I hope he gets it because it seems that he really needs this job. By the same token, there's no point in hiring someone who just needs a job because it's certainly not an easy gig (at least its not if you want to make any money). When I mentioned that I needed to get some knobby tyres for the mountain bike ride on the weekend he tried to sell me his! I think he may well have a little bit of a cashflow problem. There may be someone who will be starting in a few days - a young man in a business suit approached me the other day asking if there was any work going. He didn't reallyseem the type but I used to do an office job (and so have a few of the other couriers) - I told him that I used to work in an office as well and he explained to me, oh no, i'm just an extra in the movie they're filming across the road. Apparently he used to ride a rickshaw in the summer so that would seem to indicate that he knows the city and he's probably got the stamina as well.
Rene seemed to be in a particularly grumpy mood upon my homecoming so it was with no regrets that I escaped 1949 again in the evening. I caught up on some emails at a local café where I placed my order and got an incredibly expensive although admittedly incredibly large café latte. It was far too big for any time of day, especaillyat night time, but, it got me suitably wired to stay up a bit later. I'd been invited by Pul-Ha-Neeks to West Coast night (west coast tribes) at the local native community centre. Basically, a lot of the natives in the surrounding area get together on a weekly basis to commune and do some dances and songs and generally get together. A little bit depressing as it was on the infamous East Hastings St and the poverty showed but it was certainly an interesting night. Also a little bit disappointing as I kind of expected a big fire and people wearing buffalo skins and not people wearingembroidered blankets over casual clothes on a basketball court. Basically, it wasn't exactly Dances With Wolves but it was a new experience, that's for sure.

No comments: