Saturday 4 March 2006

Give Me The Juice!

1 March - Of course one of the few days I come into work with a hangover turns out to be one of the busiest days i've ever had. Pretty much from the beginning of the day to the end (although I did get a 10m coffee break in the latter part of the afternoon) I was moving non stop. For a change, the routing was pretty good and I ended up doing 75 trips (almost certainly my highest number) and I also had a record monetary total (although this was probably helped by my new commission rate - its funny that it still isn't even close to what I used to get at my last place of employment). One of the first jobs of the day was to get some cheques certified (a first for me) and it turned out that I had to pay the $25 to get them done - it took a little while to get the reimbursment from the company but I wasn't really worried. if they weren't goingto pay me the $25 then I wasn't going to give them the $25000 cheques - nice to have a bargainingchip. There are good days and there are bad days - sometimes its just really messy and i'm going from one side of town to anoher and its really manic but i'm really not doing that much work and other times it's just so quiet that we find ourselves sitting around just waiting for something to come up. But occasionally, like today, I just find myself in the right place at the right time so whenever a SHT comes up i'm right around the corner and after I drop it there's another, and another another and it's just HOT. Even when there are little screwups the adrenalin just turns them into little challenges. Still, there's no way I could have every day like today, my back, knees and feet are aching. It hurts ... but it's a good kind of hurt. Also word got around that one of the Flash couriers was beaten up today - apparently he called someone a rather distasteful term often used to describe someone of the homosexual persuasion, entered the building (650 Georgia) and as he left he was set upon by two men who proceeded to kick the living s**t out of him. Not sure which guy it was but some of the couriers can be very aggressive and very hostile so it reallydoesn't surprise me that this kind of thing happens from time to time. Still, i've always been of the opinion that violence rarely solves anything and i'd never condone what happened today. To celebrate my performance I bought a box of timbits for me and the coworkers, which pretty much replaced (and then some) all the calories I burned duringthe day.
New housemate moved in today, Ashu, a young man of Indian descent who's just arrived from Guelph, Ontario, seems like a nice enough fellow - also, got confirmation that Rene will be out at the end of the month, which is a real shame but was also totally inevitable, I suppose. He seems to be taking it very well, his girlfriend is moving to Canada from Korea in a few months and he wants to have a place of his own when that happens so moving on is definitely the best thing for him. He still managed to make a totally offensive rant about the squalor he believes he's been forced to live in (which is complete rot, as the place is usually pretty good - exceptional when you consider that its occupied solely by males) but ... that's Rene.

No comments: