Sunday 12 March 2006

Rider In The Storm

8 February - Sing it to 'Kafka On The Shore'. Left the house and immediately regretted my attire. It was pretty cold and raining heavily and I wasn't wearing my jacket (too bulky and uncomfortable) although I did have my warm tights on. I don't care what the Dynamex Dude says about people who complain about the weather. Today, the weather was shocking. Hard rain all day, which only let up around four o'clock. For a couple of hours in the morning we also had the benefit of wet snow. After I left a building I saw that I was covered with what looked like white fluff all over my blue shirt. I first thought it was stuff from the dryer (although I never put the synthetic cyclingshirts in the dryer) but when I brushed it off it turned out to be snow. It was too wet for the snow to build up but I did see a few cars in downtown caked in it (must have snowed overnight somewhere nearby). It's sticky and while it doesn't wet you immediately it soon melts if it's not brushed off and I was already pretty wet from the rain. Also, the winds were so strong that the snow felt like hail in my face. Every courier I saw today was bitching to anyone who would listen about how miserable it was (even, or even especially the cold weather Canadians from Edmonton and Toronto). Also, in the lifts, all of the office workers were laughing and complaining to each other how bad the weather was - most of the time when they do that they completely block out the courier who is standing right next to them - personally, if I was working in an caffeine rich sendentiary environment such as that I wouldn't have the balls to complain about the weather in front of someone who spends all day in it. In any event, it certainly felt like one of the worst days weatherwise that I can remember. It was pretty busy throughout the day - not in terms of juice (didn't too that many trips I think), but there was no break at all and for a couple of hours in the afternoon every trip I did was late (after the first one I get a little stressed, a bit more after the second misses the mark and then I simply do not care whether make it on time).
Had a little chat with Marcus today and he wished me a happy birthday - which was strange because he of all people should have known that it wasn’t my birthday (because he shares it with me) and when I pointed it out he corrected me saying that it was our birthday in Australia. My parents have always pointed out to me that I was due to be born on 8 March, International Womens Day - and finally, it seems that it is my birthday and it is also the 8th of March as well.
Had a little bit of a crash in the afternoon, which was really crappy because it had just cleared up and I was starting to feel a little better by that stage. Seems like a bruise or two and a skinned knee but also had to get my handlebars reset after the impact, hoping the bumps don't feel too bad tomorrow.

No comments: