Thursday 2 March 2006

It's Pancake Day, It's Pancake Day, It's Pa-Pa-Pa-Pa-Pa-Pa-Pancake Day!

28 February - Was caught by the freight train whilst coming into town this morning. Yesterday, i'd managed to beat it by about 10s as it made its very long inexorable way across the Adanac bike track. But today, it beat me. There was a cluster of about thirty commuters (and Kate, one of the flash couriers) waiting for it to make it to clear. unfortunately, I didn't have a penny for an impromptu experiment but it was soon gone and then there was a mad dash as the commuters pedalled as hard as their flimsy legs could propel them into their flourescent lighted hell holes. Whilst over on the side I saw a banner advertising Pancake Day and I soon confirmed that it was that magical day of the year. Unfortunately, there is a bit of a dearth of establishments that make pancakes in the downtown core but I did manage to find some at a place that does 101 different types of maple products. The pancakes were not very good, the cook had flattened them with the spatula, squeezing all the fluffiness out of them, but I was still glad that I got my pancakes. Any time is an good time for pancakes but I could hardly not eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. Let it be said that the Christian Church has got to be good for something if they can assign a holiday for pancakes. I did spend most of the day in a grumpy mood, mostly due to the shenanigans of Lee 'the Cropduster' (as I was informed his nickname used to be at Corporate - cropdusting implying that we're going all over the downtown rather than following nice, efficient routes). However, at the end of the day I finally got an answer out of bj regarding my wantinga clarification on my commission rate - we had a few seconds of negotiation and I got an raise from 51 to 60 percent (not a huge amount in dollars but a 20% increase, nonetheless). Hurrah.
Tonight also marked Simon's annual courier appreciation night. I still stand by my statement that he is an arsehole but he was very generous by organising the night out for all of the bike couriers in Vancouver. The turnout was amazing, not everyone, but the largest collection of us that i've seen since becoming a part of the subculture. Upon arrival we were issued with a couple of drink tickets, a ticket for a hamburger and a prize token. The prizes were pretty good, my haul was a pair of Ryders sunglasses and a water bottle. Got to know a few of the couriers who i've not really met properly before. Was involved in one of the funniest conversations i've had in ages with a French Canadian courier (whose name I can never remember although we often have very good chats who has the most dubious history (he has a pretty long criminal record and has always lived under the radar, he also has a wife and child who he wants me to meet) who was telling a group of us that French men are the best lovers (its funny how French Canadians always seem to identify themselves as THE French) and one of the girls disagreed. Fernchie countered with the statement 'Your opinion doesn't count because you are ze lesbian!' And her response, in one of the huskiest cigarette scarred voices i've ever heard was 'Yes, i'm a lesbian but I mostly have sex with dudes.' It was very lowbrow but most amusing. Had a very good night although the ride home was a little bit wobbly. Also, it turns out that whilst I do not yet have an official nickname (nicknames are not as prevalent in Vancouver as they ar in Sydney it seems) when discussing me (i wonder what that they actually say about me) I am known as the 'Australian Novex Dude'. Well, its a start.

No comments: