Friday 24 March 2006

Burned Out ...

21 March - It looks like the good work weather is over again with a return of the typical Vancouver rain. Returned to the south side for the first time in several weeks, which was a lot of fun but a little bit exhausting. Have only had the bike computer for about a month and have had intermittant problems with it but clocked in the longest recorded daily distance of a bit over 70ks. Whilst over there I climbed up Oak St, the steepest ride on the side (i don’t even like going down it because its so steep), for the sheer unadulterated hell of it. I was so proud of myself for doing it when there were a bunch of easier routes to take that I buzzed Jason to tell him the good news (he didn’t seem as excited about it as I was). Reno, the new guy, seems to be working out a little better than Thane did, which is good. Although i'm still very pissed off with Novex for the way they treated him and Lee's feeble excuse of being upset that Thane hadn't called in on Friday only inflamed my anger more (we told him to get better and then call in - I was the go between, so it makes me look like I was part of the decision). Had a few impromptu rendesvous in downtown with some people I know which provided a welcome distraction and finished off the day with a takeout Pilsner Urquell at the art gallery with a few of the others. Whilst doing a few little errands after work I bumped into Ozzie Marcus and went back to his place to pick up me ski pants (which weren't lost in the end, it was good to find out) - swapped bikes on the way over and used his fixie, which is great when you're on a flat but terrifyingwhen going downhill. He does have a brake, unlike many of the couriers who fride track bikes, but the bike pedals just keep on goingfaster and faster as the slope takes you down and it feels like there's no control. It'd be fun to join that crowd but I think when all is said and done anyone who's riding a track bike in a city has to be pretty crazy. However, all that riding resulted in absolute exhaustion once I got home - could barely keep my eyes open even after a (relatively) cold shower and some mildly caffeinated beverages. A new little stress is appearing in that the liquid crystal is leaking out in my PDA screen from the cracks from tother days fall and now they seem to be growing meaning I have absolutely no idea what i'm typing half the time (however, i'm not sure if I ever have known what i'm typing about on this little blog for most of the time).

No comments: