Sunday 19 March 2006

Fusion Or Illusion?

16 March - A very stressful beginning to the day when I first couldn't find the two slices of bread i'd saved for my morning toast (it turned out that i'd already put them in the toaster) and then I realised that I couldn’t find my helmet. A helmet is a very difficult thing to lose. During the day it never leaves my head (the most i'll do is unstrap it when i'm eating or drinking) and I only remove it once I return home. Sometimes I might leave it around the house but generally it only comes off when i'm in my room. I hate to admit that my first suspicion was that Rene had thrown it out because he might have been pissed off at me for some imaginary transgression. I called him up to ask if he'd seen it and he hadn’t but I was already late for work and it was nowt to be found so I had to head in without it. As soon as I arrived downtown I headed to Simon's but he was closed so I bought a vile coffee from the place around the corner from him and waited. I asked him if I could borrow one of the helmets for his rental bikes and he was a little coy but I told him that if I couldn't well ride without one and that if I didn't find my helmet that night I’d be coming back the next day to buy one off him anyway. Later on in the day when I came in for some air after a very annoying flat tyre (which i'd changed in double quick time) I got him to agree to let me take the helmet home that night as well. I've said it before and i'll say it again. He might be a grumpy arsehole most of the time but he keeps the couriers going (and it should also be said that the couriers keep his business going as well - a symbiotic relationship if you will). Lee wanted Thane to do a bit more trainingwith me today because of yesterday's debacle which was not so good but Thane revealed to me that he was actuallyquite sick and that contributed mightilyto his lack of performance the day before but he was terrified of calling in sick and just being let go. I convinced him to let me explain the situation to Lee and told him that he should go home and rest up until he was well - I told him that he shouldn't try to work and fail and let them think that he couldn't handle it - he was far more likely to lose his job by doing that than by takinga few days off, getting well and coming back when he was up for it. Lee was very relieved to hear the explanation and so thane went home for some rest and I carried on with my day. Upon returning home I found that i'd left my helmet bundled up n my bedclothes which was a big relief. I felt a little bit guilty of suspecting Rene but he has only himself to blame for creatingthe atmosphere of paranoia in the house (after all, he has trashed the possessions of other occupants in the house over imagined transgressions). We're already suffering from Chad's absence in the fact that we're now lacking the wireless router, the tv remote, most of the pots and pans and the cutting boards. F**k you rene, f**k you very much. In any event, headed down to JJ Beans for a coffee and met up with thomas, one of the ex-novex guys to give him his cheque and we had a nice little chat - i'm really hoping he will return to Novex because we get on reallywell and he's certainly a very complentary member of our little team (one of my finest proteges, if you will). It is doubtful as he's returningto school pretty soon and he's getting a lot more money for a lot less effort at is new job but one can hope. I also took the plunge and spend an exhorbitant amount on the new Gilette Power Fusion razor blade. I am a big fan of the Mach 3 razor blade, it gives a very close shave and it's open blade design means that it clears easily when rinsed. The schick quatro razor which I used a couple of times also gives a close shave but because it's blades back onto plastic it clogs up after every stroke and it's very difficult to rinse out and if its rinsed with hot water it starts to overheat and its not a pleasant experience at all. The fusion razrblade, that I first saw advertsied whilst watching my first superbowl earlier in the year is also an open bladed design like the Mach-3 but in the ridiculous tactic of one upmanship that the two major players in the razorblade game are using this one has five blades (the onion even did a spoof editorial from the gm of Gilette a few years ago with the headline 'F**k everything, Let's Make a razor with Five blades' - http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930). I thought if i'm spending this much on a razor I may as well get the powered version which contains a cold fusion power plant (hence the name and most probably the reason why gilette refuses to sell this remarkable device in Iran) that powers micropulses and an edge trimmer (to trim your hedges no doubt). Anyway, considering the frequency that I actually do put razor to face this one should last a while. Well, i'm hoping it will otherwise I may need to get my credit limit raized so I can afford some new cartridges.

No comments: