Thursday 16 March 2006

Cracks In The Structure

14 March - For some reason the keyboard on my Blackberry has stopped functioning (well, everything but the bottom two rows have stopped working) which means that i've got no way of typing in my PODs and I can no longer send amusing haikus to my fellow coworkers). I bet Thane did somethingto it when he was using it yesterday. This meant that I was constantly buzzing Lee to give him the PODs but it did have the advantage that he was constantly aware of my location so there was very little backtracking throughout the day. It was pretty busy so it turned out to be a rather profitable day. I'm not sure how well Thane is working out - Lee was venting his frustrations to me a couple of times but I hope it all does work out alright in the end. Ghostrider is getting very excited about the upcoming mountain bike ride on Mt Seymore this weekend - he's always full of advice (which is definitely welcome for the most part) but he stopped me a couple of times today to discuss tyre thicknesses and to give me a few updates for the ride. Almost lost my temper with one of my co-workers, a rather experienced biker who decided that he didn't want to drop off his last two trips because they were only REGs (not very high paying),, his explanatation was that it wasn't juice (high paying). I ended up droppingthem for him but not before telling him that with that kind of attitude he was never going to get any juice. Nobody is going to give the high paying jobs to someone who won't do the low paying ones that they've been assigned. At least that's my opinion. Despite being pretty decent weather there was a torrential sunshower at the end the day and me a couple of couriers tried to wait it out under a big tree near the art gallery. Eventually, we decided that it was just not going to stop so we all got on our bikes and headed home - within minutes was soaked to the skin but halfway home it completely stopped. F**k.
In order to escape the house I headed over to Shadow's place for a bit of a visit. I was weclomed into the BMX Room, a shrine to all things BMX (with one or two skateboarding posters that his skateboarder wife manged to sneak in). They're a very interesting couple - both have a slightly chequered history, they were street kids but they've managed to do pretty well for themselves - Shadow's criminal past has been alluded to but he takes his job very seriously (as seriously as one can take their job in this industry although he is the supervisor for the Dye and Durham crowd (he's asked me to work for D&D but they pay a flat rate which would be a paycut although it would be a much easier job) and Angie is a social worke. Their daughter, Aaliyah, who I met the other day, is incredibly cute, mostly incomprehensible (she's still three) but that's explainable considering she understands English, French and even Chinese. After she went to bed we had a couple of tokes and played a game of scrabble which I would probably have lost had we ever managed to get to the end of it.

No comments: