Sunday 7 January 2007

Demands

7 January – Sometimes too much better really is too much butter as my over abused stomach found out today – when it was given too much butter.  On the ride back towards the homestead I passed a sign that said $1.50 takeaway coffee, thinking that this was an opportunity potentially too hot to miss I wheeled around and ordered one worrying all the while that I’d be getting my money’s worth and no more.  However, despite it turning out to be really quite decent I was dismayed to hear the lad asking for $2.20.  Now, I’ve no problem with paying $2.20 for a coffee but when I’ve been told by the sign that it’s $1.50 that’s all I expected to pay.  And the smug bastard even had the temerity to act magnanimous when he graciously accepted the $2 coin I’d already handed over as full payment.  I’d a right mind to demand the change and threaten to report him to the ACCC for deceptive advertising ... But, I don’t like to make a scene.  Recommended a visiting New York messenger try Crisis out for a short term job but don’t think he’ll have much luck – I can only do what I can.  A bunch of personal errands demanded my attention – reminded myself to stop collecting napkins in my back pocket throughout the day because I never remember to take them out before a watch and after shaking all my washing out in my bedroom spent half an hour vacuuming up the bits and pieces of paper that had fallen, like snow, over every free surface.  All quiet on the western front but it could just be the lull of the storm.  Thanks to Fiona from Sydney Festival I found myself with two tickets to the unexpectedly excellent Telophaza show at the Capital.  On Friday, whilst waiting for a lift, I’d asked her if there was anything she’d recommend I go to at the Festival and she responded by offering me tickets to either Rosemary Cash on Saturday or Telophaza on Sunday – having already been booked out of time for the exciting task of manoeuvring closets into trucks I opted with the latter.  First real freebie in my entire messenger career.  Hurrah.  Vietnamese dinner proved somewhat disappointing but the show was incredible: forty dancers with the most beautiful bodies imaginable, incredible choreography, excellent music and a runtime of an hour (no time to get squeamish in one’s seat).  The audience participation caused a bit of self consciousness but undoubtedly the best dance event I think I’ve seen.  And I’ve seen a few.

No comments: