Thursday 16 February 2006

Pennies To Heaven

13 February - AN experiment to see if a penny left on the railroad tracks wil result in it being flattened was a failure as the pennies I left on the tracks were nowt to be seen when I returned in the evening with chums in tow. I've seen the trains cross the roads a few times and they often go really slowly with a guy walking ahead stealing all the coins left by curious children like me. So, I'm 6c poorer today. Really windy and heard a horrific rumour that the temperature is going to drop to negative 12 with maximum of minus 2. When I mentioned it to my dispatcher, and he dismissed it saying that he heard it was minus 6 minimum, but what's 6 degrees between me and a few thin layers of nylon and spandex. Lee has taken to encouraging me throughout the day by announcing what my current earnings are at random points in the day. I was in an elevator of one of the big law firms with a couple of lawyers beside me (almost certainly evil mob defending ambulance chasers) when he piped through with the amount and despite it being pretty good for what i've become accustomed to it was probably quite a bit less than my companions but a hearty laugh all around cleared any possible discomfort. A few roadside repairs at the begnning of the day meant black goo all over my fingers all day (and staining my brand new red gloves). The only thing I could clean them on were my legs (and a building but that's not a story I want to elaborate on) and as a result they were covered in black streaks all day as well, causing considerable observations from people who though that i'd wiped out. When I got home I listened to Rene wax on for a while about the mighty achievements of his Uncle Jimmy, air force general, titan of industry, man of the people, and all around pretty nice guy before watching the Enron doco, smartest guys In The room, great but nothing really new to be learned from it, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy getting angry with them all over again for causing the damage they did and then enjoying even more the smug glee of watching them gettig what they deserve (even if the punishment is watered down).

No comments: