Sunday 12 February 2006

Hey, You've Got A Sexy Accent, Will You Stay And Talk With Me For a While???

10 February - Sorry, lady, a courier's work is never done, somewhere out in that city there is a trip that needs to be picked ... and dropped. Despite a subzero start to the day it got really warm today, first time i've worked without the jacket since I've started at this job. Not terribly efficient but the sunlight just put me in a good mood and I was singing at the top of my lungs at several points in the day (not very wise to do it when you're trying to climb a hill). Had a few heart to hearts with my dispatcher, Lee. He had a bit of a tantrum at one stage (kind of reminded me of Chris) but then buzzed back and was incredibly apologetic, I had absolutely no right to speak to you like that, I was very stressed, there's no excuses ... He's very sensitive like that (completely unlike Chris) but I hadn’t been offended in the slightest. He seemed a bit hurt that I couldn't remember him when we met on the streets but he assures me it happened several times. It's very srange to have the person you speak to all day (not that I talk to him on the radio nearly as muh as I did with chris) and not have any idea what he looks like apart from a vague description (i'm short, I have short hair and a goatee - oh yeah, that guy!!!). I suggested he come to downtown to meet all of us but he works in richmond and we finish at the same time so it's not exactly easy to schedule. One little gripe was that I got call from my manager givingme grief about some of my paperwork. Aparently on january 29 I didn't get a lot of signatures (i never get signatures!!! Although I have been getting them a bit more frequently lately - can I have your autograph??? The receptionists love that) and there were a few blanks. I gave him a vague excuse about it being busy or wet but who the f**k does he think he is giving me grief about my paperwork? I'm the number one biker. Who's he? A car dispatcher with a title. Oh well, what ars you going to do. In any event, despite the excellent day my feet ar feeling a bit itchy, either i've got to think about moving or I need to buy some Prantal powder. Also met up with one of my co-workers, Thomas, quite young and only been there for a short while but one of the better ones (he's a bit of an athletic nut and is pretty fit although he's been working on a torn calf muscle for the past few weeks). We went for beer and pretzels at one of the local drinking holes which has the misfortune to be open up to the riff raff of Commercial Drve (there's quite a lot of riff raff around this area despite the high presence constabulatory presence. That's somethingwhich is reallyhard to get used to around here still. I've never seen such misery so prevelant in the western world. The other day I saw a windscreen wiper shooting up on a ptty busy street. It was so cliched, he was clutching his wiper in one hand and plunging the syringe into his arm with the other. Didn't care about the masses of people around him and for the most part they didn't seem to pay him any mind either. THis is supposed to be the worst place for homelessness in Canada and i'd reallyhope so because I can't imagine it beingany worse.

No comments: