Friday 17 February 2006

Beer And Leg Tricks

15 February - Still very cold but at least its dry. Very happy about acquiring a new Blackberry AND a replacement radio, which makes work a lot easier. For some reason have not been able to 'Alert' my dispatcher for the past two months. Normally, when you want to speak to the dispatcher you send an 'Alert' and he will get back to you, usually within a couple of minutes. The way its been for the with my defective radio is I just buzz him and hope that he's available. If he's not listening for me, which is often, he's got no idea that I need to speak to him and if he is listening and he's busy, he's interrupted and then he ignores me just to piss me off. Now, this little problem has been sorted and my blackberry (brand new, it even has the welcome messages in the inbox) still has the web browser enabled, which means if its quiet (like today) I can surf the internet and waste time just like every other office drone on the planet. had a bit of chat with one of the Flash couriers, I think his name is Eric, who had his bike stolen from him when he was snoozing outside 885 Georgia. He hadn’t locked it because he was right next to it and some local punk just picked it up and rode off with it. Eric was very keen n telling me how he and three other couriers took after the culprit on foot (the other three had their bikes stolen too???) but it was not necessary because his brakes had worn out and the felon couldn't stop and sped along until he t-boned a taxi. Somehow he got away in the confusion after getting a severe belting from the couriers who got there in time (it's okay, I got him a good hit!). The bike was recovered, the taxi was dented and the police were called but the guy got away, and I think i'm pretty happy that he did. It's one thingto get charged for the theft or get beaten up by a bunch of irate couriers, but it's not fair to get both. I dread the day if I catch someone trying to steal my bike because despite my capacity for aggression having become remarkably increased by this job I still don’t think I’m capable of wanton violence. At one point when I was climbing a particularly nasty hill today I was tooted at by a big black suv and then as the veeheecle passed me a stupid kid stuck a stick out the window and tried to hit me with it. I chased down the car after two sets of lights (uphill too) and palmed the driver door and yelled an admonishment towards the driver about her idiotic offspring but I could just imagine her pspecitive being that a psychotic bicycle courier had just assaulted her car for no reason. Well, I didn't feel guilty then and I don't feel guilty now. After this reasonably tranquil day I met up with Greg, one of the Corporate Couriers who I first met when we realised that we had the exact same bicycle (on more than one occasion i've left a building and gone to unlock my bike only to find out its his - it's not a big city), for beers and leg tricks (he's promised to teach me how to bunny hop - i'm getting better) at the cambie. Didn't drink that much but enough to completely knock me out once I got home .. Muckled around for a while before fallingasleep while still dressed ... Which doesn't really explain how I could be writing this.

No comments: