Sunday 1 January 2006

If you want him, come and claim him!

30 September - The upcoming departure of my my housemate, Jason, has resulted in the availability of cupboard space at head height. So, in a swift move designed to confuse my enemies and pre-empt their own claims on the valuable wall estate I moved all of my meagre condiments and tinned foods into the new vacancy. No more smashing my head against the fridge and putting my back out every time I want to make some toast.
I presumed that end of year and end of month might make the day at work slightly busier thathe previous day but I was wrong. Incredibly quiet day but somehow (according to dispatcher who seemed to be in remarkably good spirits that day (could have had somethingto do with the fact that he admitted he was still drunk when we first spoke at 8am in the morning)) I managed to make twice as much money than anyone else that day and so I was let off early. Generally, pretty enjoyable day - went in to get my brakes adjusted at Simons and was very pleasantly surprised to be able to deal with (shock, horror!) a nice mechanic! He led me into the back where we were snarled at by the usual guy but incredibly friendly and extremely talkative. I hope I get to deal wth him next time (although not if i'm in a rush because he sure likes to talk). Also had a run-in with a doorman at one of our regular clients. I asked him if I could use the washroom and he refused and then had the temerity to threaten to call my boss because I didn't get him to sign the paperwork (we NEVER get regular clients to sign) properly. Put me out for a bit - maybe people ar rude because they're upset with their station in life (bike mechanics wish they motor mechanics, receptionists wish they were executives, security guards wish they were anything else) or maybe it's because they're just assholes. After my shortened day I has a milkshake with Dimitri and then we headed to the Brickyard where we had a small toke of something illegal (hey, end of year celebrations!) before I headed home and got myself an authentic Montreal poutine to quell the unnatural desires that were rumbling in my belly. Whilst waiting for it got a call from the dispatcher, apparntly I was holding onto the key for a certain dropbox in town and I had to get it back in before the end of the day. Very annoying but Dimitri met me halfway (after i'd consumed my poutine of course) - and not exactly halfway. Dimitri is a splendid fellow in all regards but rushing is not his favourite thing so I met him closer to three quarters of the way in but all sorted and still home pretty early. Received a call from a fellow Vancouverite, mr Matthew Gray, who reassured me that the weather does get better in the summer (although the worst of the rain is yet to come according to most of my sources). Went out for some drinks with some people back in downtown later that night - met some very nice people and a few whackjobs but that's what happens when you go out. I suppose - still, looking forward to bringing in the new year tonight (this year's been pretty good so i'm not going to make my usual moans about hoping that the next one will be better than the previous - but, bring it on nonetheless!)

No comments: