Tuesday 24 January 2006

Back in Nirvana(s)

22 January - Woken up at some ungodly hour by K8 saying sorry, sorry, sorry, I really want to make it up to you. I told her that she could start making it up to me by calling back when I was awake. I eventually stumbled out of bed at about 10 and after some breakfast and checking of emails (none because nobody at home has emailed me with fabulous tales of what's happning in their lives in Sydney) I laced on my Mizuno Nirvana's and I went downtown to St Pauls to get Diagnosis No 4, this time by Dr Kirk Holohan gave me the fourth interpration of the x-rays, which is that the radiologist's conclusion from all of the x-rays is that there is no fracture of the wrist at all and that it's just a sprain. That was good news because it means a quicker complete recovery time but he said that pain should be the decider as to when i'm ready to work again. He gave me a prescription for a medical splint that I can wear (and hopefully claim from WBC) that will give me some support but is mainly for protection from further damage if I fall on it again but the specialty shop where I could get it from was closed. Yesterday when i'd gone in to town to get my bike serviced by the and got it done by the new very friendly and very talkative mechanic he'd been raging that it was my right wrist and not my left because he had the perfect splint at home which he would lend me for my recovery. He'd used it after a particularly bad, self caused wipeout where he'd completely fractured his wrist and arm. It's amazing how helpful this guy is compared to the other two arseholes who work in the shop. I then went to the Denman Running Room where I was to meet some people for a run in Stanley Park who i'd met over a community internet site. The two who turned up were two girls about my age who were both keen to start doing some distance running. They both seemed to indicate that they'd done a little bit in the past but when we started it soon became apparent that it wasn't going to work. I've naw been treating my body like a temple of late, unless i'm a rampaging pagan who is pillaging that temple, and I've not run at all for a couple of months but that couldn't bring me to their level. I'm not tooting my own horn or criticising these girls commitment to running but we'd run very slowly (which can be harder than running fast sometime) for about five minutes then they'd stop and walk for five minutes and then i'd try to get them moving again and then it was rest again. And after about thirty minutes of this one of them jumped ship. After this we headed back toward's Margaret's car alternating between running and walking and then I was on my own. We agreed to call for a rerun but I don't think I'll be up for it. My pulse wasn't moving at all when I ran with them and even though i'm sure they'll improve a bit if we keep going together we are really incompatible as running partners. Running partner have to be at least approximating each other's ability or the stronger one can't get any benefit out of it and can even develop injuries by having to adopt a much slower running style. I'm going to have to look for someone more suited or even just stick by myself for a while. After I was left on my own I did go for a run around the seawall, which is a pretty long course and I did I kept moving the entire distance although my nose and lungs were not being kept in check by my reduced pseudoephadrine intake. A lot of spit was left on that Seawall. Very happy with the run and I think I might keep it up. Still, once it was all over and the running heat wore off the drizzle, cooling sweat and ambient temperature did make for a very cold wander back home. Home didn't offer much in the way of distraction but it rarely doe

No comments: