Thursday 12 January 2006

I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out

10 January - Had a few small missions to do today including making a two hour journey into Richmond to sign two forms with Novex for the workers compensation. On the way I stopped off at City Hall and got my brand new shiny red 2006 courier licence plate (i'm now number 035) but had a nightmare of actuallygetting to the office. Once there I had a little bit of a chat with my manager clarifying a few pay issues i've suspected and was planning to say hello to the few people I know there including my dispatcher, chris. It turns out that chris was 'let go' yesterday for being ... Well, for being a bit of a bastard. I have to admit that he can be quite curt and offensive over the radio but it didn't bother me too much because he was very good at getting me around when it was busy and he seemed to like me (most of the time). But, apparently his mouth got him into trouble and he's gone now. The driver manager even asked me if i'd be interested in training to be the dispatcher - while it's nice to be thought of for "promotion" the whole point of working in a courier firm was to be on the bike and there was no way I was going to get an office job in that place! Managed to cadge a lift back into town from of the surly drivers who started to open up just before he let me off and after a few things from the shops I met up with Rene to head off to my first hockey game, the Toronto Maple Leafs v the vancouver canucks. I'd pretty much decided that I would support Toronto only because I was so sick of having Canucks games forced upon me in the household and mark lent me his leafs toque to wear to the game but I may have backed the wrong horse. Great spectacle, more like a concert than just a game - it's really fast and a little hard to follow (easy to tell when someone scores obviously but the game keeps on pausing and I never knew whether it was a penalty, a time out or, god forbid, a tv time out [Pop Quiz, asshole!!!! "It's TV, it changed everything, changed the way we think forever. I mean the first time they
stopped the game to cut away to some fucking commercial that was the end of it. Because it was our concentration that mattered, not theirs, not some fruitcake selling cereal."). All pretty enjoyable from the boston pizza bazooka (exactly what it sounds like) to the bizarre orca blimp (that makes you feel like you're in a surreal giant fish tank) and the amazing skating skills that ar second nature to the players - a bit of a spectacle. Vancouver won 4-3 and if i'd just been loyal to my locality I would have been less disappointed. Then again, i'd have been a lot more disappointed if I had any interest in sports whatsoever so i'm not too upset. Afew beers to commiserate with a rather morose Rene at the Cambie and then a rather greasy Megabite pizza afterwards finished the night. In any event, have ticked off another Canadian task. What ho, what ho, what ho.

No comments: