Friday 20 January 2006

The Fug and The Glug

18 January - My head is in a fug and my sinuses are full of glug. God, I hate having a cold. From the weird body temperature fluctuations to the constant nose blowing and the hallucinations that inevitably happen when you're in bed at 5am waiting for the sunrise to come even though when it does come there's no way that you're able to enjoy it. This cold is the first i've had since arriving in this country and as I recall it may be the first i've had since leaving Australia. I wonder if it's hitting me harder than it would in Australia - is it a different virus that I have now than what i'd have in Oz or is the cold virus as much of a traveller as we humans are? With avian flu popping up all over the world and it being the next big disease to hit the human race it makes you wonder how its less lethal cousins travel around. The wrist is feeling a magnitude or two better. I'm hoping if I splint it up I should be able to ride next week - I think I shall go to the hospital on Sundee rather than Mondee so I don't waste any time getting back to work. Everyone knows what a workoholic I am ... Went for breakfast at Bons, which was not as pleasant as it could have been. A real greasy spoon diner and the pancakes aren't nearly as good as my own or the ones at Fets and the eggs are quite obviously straight out a chicken run ... but it's cheap and the atmosphere is friendly enough (warm your cup up for you, hon???). Dealing with the bureaucracy of the Workers Compensation Board is getting to be a bit of a drag and my travel insurance company is making it very difficult to make my claim for the various knick knacks that have run away from me during this trip (camera, contact lenses, spectacles etc) but I seem to have a lot of free time at the moment. The wrist is keeping me away from work but now this cold is keeping me in the house and i've got nowt to do but post eleborate ramblings, watch movies, read books and deal with various incorporated bureaus. Today's book is Filth by irvine welsh, always good for entertainment and the movie for today is the hulk (say what you will about it - it's crap, of that I have no defence, but it would have to one of the most beautiful fantasy fight scenes in movie history - the hulk against a bunch of US military helicopters and tanks is one of the most mind blowing bits of cinema i've seen in ages and i've just seen King Kong so there's some stiff competition). After Rene got home he treated me to a rather large herbal remedy and we watched 'Two for the money', a rather confusing and not very entertaining movie about sports gambling. I'm still not sure if it was for or against it, perhaps i'll never know.

No comments: