Monday 23 January 2006

Back On The Bike

21 January - Finally got back on Baby Blue today for the first time since the accident. My splint seems to be causing more discomfort than the actual sprain, which is still slightly painful but I think that the disuse of my wrist is what's causing the worst of the trouble. So, after some disappointing Fet pancakes I headed downtown to get a tuneup and see a movie (oh, yes, another movie). The New World was pretty typical of my limited experience with Terrence Malick, a little bit confusing but very beautiful to watch. I don't think its the best movie about the origins of modern America that I've seen but it was still great to watch. Quite a few people didn’t seem to think so though and there was more than a couple who walked out before it was over (it was pretty long, truth be told). Also finally purchased a new pair of spectacles and will pick them up during the week - they're not essential to daily functioning but it will be good to be able to rest my poor corneas from their constant contact lens companions every once in a while.
While I was wandering around a few shops I was asked if I wanted a free back screening from a chiro in a running shop, not having nowt to do for the next 5m I agreed, knowing what to expect. I've already got a bit of scoliosis and lo and behold they told me that there was a problem but I could go and see him for an initial examination at half price which would then be followed by a bunch of treatments at full price. Sorry mate, i've been to more qualified (and more expensive) doctors than you who've given me a more realistic idea of what can be done - which is not much.
Came back home and finished reading 'Whale Rider', which was not as good as the movie but consdering its a standard high school text in NZ that's not so surprising and was just settling in to watching Zoolander when housemate Mark asked me to accompany him to a friend's house for some beer and mexican food. It wasn't long before someone suggested that we play a 'drinking game'. Feeling a bit wary about letting myself in to a Canadian game where i didn't know the rules and being pitted against regular players i was a bit relieved that 'Kings Head' turned out to be the exact weird-ass game that i sometimes found myself playing back at home with Madames Angel and Sandy Kerswill and Messuires Oscar and Dale, only minus the dreaded sing a song or act out a dramatic scene. You can go to the other side of the world and they're still playng the same ridiculous drinking game - the world sure is flat as Thomas Friedman might say. Survived that for a few hours before i headed out to Clark Drive where i was to rendesvous at a printing press where a local band, Ladyhawk, was playing, with K8, a winsome Flash courier who i've known for a while. I got there at 1015, presuming to meet them there and got a call at quarter to 11 with a shout that she was waiting for her ride and she'd be there soon. Not long after that, the band, started. They were very good, although very, very loud, and the very small venue was packed like sardines although it had a door open to afford some oxygen replenishment to the seething masses of young, cool Vancourites. Waited and waited and waited before trying K8 on the phone and SMSing for her timeframe. Eventually at half twelve after a very small amount of vacuous chatting with no message and the music coming to its conclusion i headed home and ate some toast before crashing out.

No comments: