Wednesday 11 January 2006

Write Off

8 January - Sunday was a bit of a writeoff, considering that I arrived home around half five in the morning and didn't get to bed until after six. Television and John le Carre followed but leaving the house wasn't a high priority. Wrist is still pretty tender and swollen but it doesn't seem to hurt unless it gets bumped or if I try to do anything with it. Haven't been able to shave or wash my hair since, which is kind of annoying considering the last time I did either of those things was late last year (and i'm aware of the fact that this makes it sound worse than it is). My beard clippers, which served me very well through my tour of Nam (and other associated tourist destinations) have seemed to have finally given up their immortal ghost and may soon have to be consigned to the scrapheap of history (or at least the scrapheap of 1949 East First Ave), hence I will either have to buy new ones or i'll just have to rely on the blade (or I could grow a big bushy beard just to annoy my parents). Had a bit of good luck with the Sunday screening of Shawshank Redemption, but they censored it (how can you censor THIS film???) and the experience was not quite as good as it could have been. Is there a line snuck into that movie that is 'all prisoners, return your cellphones' or was I just hearing things? Despite the censor's diminishing editing hacks this film is still pure poetry. It's got an incredible story and is so perfectly put together and it really is the perfect example of what a movie can be.

No comments: