Friday 30 December 2005

Easing Back In

28 December - Awful wakeup today - after a few days of sleeping in to 9 and 11 it was a bit of a grind to hear the alarm at 6 and the three snoozes to six thirty were particularly harrowing. It was dark and cold and wet outside and I was stumbling around like a fool while I got myself together before venturing out to downtown. From the beginning it was very quiet day but it was wet all morning and even though it didn't bother me as much as it can when I was buzzed at 12 by the dispatcher asking me if I wanted to go home early I agreed readily. Pity that as soon as I got home the sun came out. Not wanting to waste a good day I got rid of my wet stuff and headed back out ... to downtown, no less. Met with Dimitri for a few wee drams at the Brickyard followed by a little toke and got hijacked by Helen, a very talkative and emotional courier from Sakatchawan (i know I didn't spell that right) who waxed elusively about the wonders of Montreal and got distracted and started telling me of the wonders of Paris instead. After this headed for a very quick one at the Cambie, one of the other courier hangouts, before heading home (and into my room for most of the night to avoid the hockey - Jason is back from his christmas trip and is commandeering the TV on Canuck nights). Also had a very pleasant distraction with an international phone call from my obviously fertile friend, adrian, who is due to become a father sometime early in the new year - children certaily seem to becoming quite the fashion item these days, good thing i'm usually behind the times.

No comments: