Sunday 4 December 2005

No Pedallers Allowed

2 December - Bitterly cold today, possibly the worst yet. At least it was mostly dry - just lots of flurries. up until today I had no idea what a flurry was, I thought it was something you could get from mcdonalds - it turns out that it is not as bad as that but still really light snow constantly blowing into your face isn't the most comfortable thing in the world. Also, because it was quite slow I found myself waiting around just getting cold a couple of times during the day. Whenever there was a job, even if it wasn't urgent i'd ride as hard as I could to get my blood flowing - you have to balance the exertion to warm yourself up with the windchill that you get when you're going really fast - it's like walking a tightrope. HOwever, despite them not staying up for more than ten minutes at a time I managed to keep my leggings on all day today. I was constantly hiking them up all day but they did help. This weekend i'm definitely getting a pair of proper tights - it just has to be done!
After work finished me and Stu went to Nagez, the Ukrainian home cooking restaurant where I supped like a king and then headed down to the Brickyard for some cheap beer. Rick, one of the other couriers from Novex was there - and when he gets drunk he gets very strange, constantly rambling stories about the history of Novex and adventures that he had in his longand varied career. The stories didn't seem to go anywhere though or even be adventures - they were just tales of him runningfrom place to place and being really busy. I'm hopinh my adventures stay about as exciting as that - because the only excitement I can imagine in this job can only result in injury. Sideshow Bob was also there, he'd worked with us for two and a half days before quitting and now he's working for the competition. Completely bizarre individual - used to courier for 17 years before quitting (to do what, I do not know) and has recently returned after a substantial break - I think he does work with street kids and is a bit of social organiser amongst this small subculture. He looks kind of like Sideshow Bob, at least with the hair, and what goes through his mind I could not tell you. He gave me a stern lecture about how a ballpoint pen can be the most effective weapon in dealing with an irate driver and then tried to play hackey sack whilst sitting down before doing an impression of a fire engine (for about ten minutes). Was a little bit drunk by the time I got home and fell asleep whilst watching the March of the penguins - hopefully will be able to give it another shot on Saturday.
Bitterly cold todaym worst yet
Flurries all day, didn't know what one was, thougtt it was from mcdonalds'
went to nagaz
Keptg kleggings on all day today
Rick, really weird when drunk
Bob really weird whn drunk or sober
B thought he was Loaded up with super hots
got very drunk after work
Hd to keep moving during day to get warm, even whern it was quiet would still ride as hard as possible

No comments: