Wednesday 21 December 2005

I used to ride in the rain ... now I'm just getting wet

20 December - Well, it appears that the rain is here to stay - I was soaked by the time I got into town and despite a brief period of dryness in the afternoon it went on all day (and looking outside at 10pm it's still going). According to the little man in the PDA it's going to raining all week as well. Riding in the rain really isn't that bad, I used to love it when I was in Sydney, getting drenched while I was crossing over the bridge was very invigorating but as soon as I got to work or home i'd have a hot shower and I would get in dry clothes - over here I get wet and then stay wet all day. If it stops raining I just steam (and if I stop for a while it starts to really chill). The water gets into everything - all over my paperwork, wrecking my pens, my letters disintegrate and my Blackberry and radio get fried (they usually start to work again when it drys off ... usually). Did a lot of riding again over the side, the advantage is that there's less trips which means i'm opening up my bag all the time (every time it opens water gets in) - very exhausting but that's what I got the job for. Also, rear brakes went today, not the best thing to happen when you're a bike courier - some of the fixed speed couriers go by the adage that brakes just slow you down and they add more weight but I'm of the opinion that they're rather useful, especially in the wet. Got it fixed up, also did a good turn for one of the other couriers by fixing his brakes (felt very knowledgeable to actually know how to do it). Probably more of the same tomorrow, yay.
By the way, The 40 Year Old Virgin is a really good moofie ... The video game playing scene was very accurate AND very amusing.

No comments: