Monday 26 December 2005

Twas The Night Before Christmas

24 September - Unless there is some freak act of god cataclysmic weather changing event it's very unlikely that we'll be having a white christmas this year. It's a good thing I don't pine for Ye Olde Traditional Victorian Christmas's - in fact, it's probably a good thing I don't pine for Christmas at all. Very disappointed that my Saturday morning breakfast haunt was closed for the holidays and I had to make do with Bons, which isn't bad by any means but I had a hankering of blueberry pancakes and was even consideringtrying the blackberry pancakes (oh, i'm such a daring one) but there was nothing to be done.
Went into downtown to get my bike serviced by the always lovely fellows at Simon's Bike Shop (pity that sarcasm never really translates to email) and I met up with Dimitri for some blockbuster movie action at the Paramount. King Kong kicks ass, well, it was not the best movie i've ever seen by any means but absolutely incredible action scenes (although the rest of the film does seem like it's there solely to justify the OTT action) and lots of little injokes (i don'T think i've seen a film so loaded up with sly references and fodder for movie geeks) - and at three hours long we certainly got our 10.95's worth. But, three hours is pushing anyone's bladder and it really was stretched out a bit too much. But, worth seeing nonetheless (in terms of modern monster movies I think Tremors (which I watched the next day - although it was shamefully and criminally censored of the bad language) has the edge on it though).
Upon my return home I got a phone call from the family in Sydney, all of them gathering for their yearly Christmas get together - everyone wanted to speak to me, which was great, but nobody wanted to speak to me for very long, which was strange - i'd start to have a chat with someone and before I knew it they'd passed the phone on to the next person, bit confusing trying to keep track of the narrative but the conversations were not exactly scintillating, hi, merry christmas, miss you, love you ... Blah blah blah, bah humbug. Great to hear everyone's voices for a bit though, they were probably just hungry ... as was I, because shortly after that I headed back to downtown for dinner at some friends' place, Abby and Loreya (very nice lesbian couple I met a few months back), Abby's two sons Jordi and Johan, Brad, a nicish but drunken drug dealer who seemed very enamoured with me and a whole host of others who were orphaned on Christmas eve night. Most of the guests were vegetarians which meant that there wasn't too much competition for the vast quantities of flesh that were actually available. Had a great night and got home rather late but the joy of the night was marred by the fact that my collar bumped by eye knocking out my right contact lens into the rainy sidewalk and it just disappeard, presumably to elope with the other one that disappeard about a month ago. Very pissed off about it but I did have a spare at home which lessened the inconvenience (Christmas Eve is probably the worst time of the year to lose a contact lens because everythingshuts down over the holiday period ... Quite bizarre, last time l lost the contact lens it was on a friday morning, aother very inconvenient time ... Someone or something is out to get me, I think). In any event, great night ...

No comments: