Thursday 15 December 2005

FW: Fets v Bons

10 December - That time of year again when i've got to remember two birthdays - lost all of my contacts from yesterday's very annoying PDA melt down but managed to pass on messages to respective peoples, hope they get them before end of the day over there. I can always use the excuse that's the time difference caused the delay if it doesn't happen properly. Found a new breakfast place at Jason's suggestion, 'Bons Off Broadway', very popular place, and very cheap, but it's not good value unless it's good. It reminds me of the diner that the Resevoir Dogs were in at the beginning of the movie, constantly getting my coffee cup warmed up (when I order coffee I want it refilled six times, she onlyfilled me up twice!!!) and i'm supposing there were also a lot of criminals overexamining crappy 80s pop songs and getting ready to kick off a heist. Actually, the food was very good, but I think I still prefer Fets, a couple of extra dollars for pancakes with blueberries in them that ar on a different echelon of quality makes for a far more enjoyable breakfast experience.
At one point in the afternoon there was a knock on the door and upon opening it I was confronted with Libby Davis, the local federal MP for the NDP (left wing opposition party), out doing her campaigning for the upcoming election. I explained that I was inelegible to vote which she wasn't concerned about, she wanted to know if we would put up a sign on the front lawn for her. I explained that there were eight people in the house, two of them not even Canadian, and I was pretty unsure if there'd be a consensus supporting the NDP and i'd have to regretfully decline. She left me her card to give her a call if the rest of the housemates were agreeable. It turned out that Jason would have been very willing to have it up but after asking Rene, the response was 'F**k no!!! Not unless she wants to have a burning sign on the front lawn!' - I guess he's not a supporter ...
Later on I went to see 'Syriana', which was an excellent way to escape the cold - very good example of a taut, political thriller. Almost too complicated to follow but pretty intense stuff and something i'd recommend.
As it was a Saturday I forced myself to get out of the house, so I headed downtown to the Dufferin on Seymour, a rather grungy drag bar, that was full of some of the most completely drunkenly incoherent people i've met since I arrived in the city. Met a couple of nice people as well as a few creepy ones, including a drag queen from Sydney (not in costume) named Aroma Therapy (can't remember his real name) who was very disappointed in my ability to recall the current list of performers on Oxford Street. Being a lightweight, I didn't last much past one and got home on the last Skytrain, but glad I got out of the house anyway.

No comments: