Sunday 25 December 2005

Maybe not such a great Omen after all ...

22 December - Wet again this morning but it did ease of significantly later in the day. There was even sunshine in the afternoon and it felt pretty hot. Had to carry some ridiculous packages in the day (an envelope supposedly weighing two pounds was actually two rolls of paper weighing about 10 kilos) but it wasn't too busy and had a bit of downtime throughout the day. Mary Jane from KPMG gave me my photocopies of the radio programming instructions and all the team was very impressed with my efforts - being able to talk to each other throughout the day should help somewhat in future. Bike got a bit screwy and noisy near the end of the day and brakes needed adjusting at one point (dispatcher asked me, 'What do you need a back brake for? I thought all you Australians were crazy?'), need to get a service on the weekend I think. One of the bikers bought a box of Tim Bits (doughnut holes from Tim Hortons) for the team which were fantastic for the first few but really weigh on the stomach after a dozen or so. It also seems as if the white cat didn’t do its job because when I went to check to see whether my Kris Kringle lottery tickets would make me a millionaire twenty times over, bafflingly, it turns out that I didn’t win anything. What ar the odds of that?
Had a good night as well, went over to a friends house for white wine and crackers and discussions about Gwen Stefani's pregnancy (fascinatingstuff). Also, there was an announcement that Brian and Paul (a very nice couple who I met a while back who've moved close to Commerical Drive near me) have got engaged. I'm still not sure what the legal arrangement is over here for gay marriage but I think it is quite similar to the civil partnerships which have just made their mark in England. I don't know many gay couples who are married but despite the best efforts of the right wing family values proponents who don't want gay marriage forced upon them (just because gay marriage is legal doesn't mean you HAVE to marry someone of your own gender, as far as I know the gay rights proponents aren't trying to ban straight marriage) I think there are going to be a lot more countires legalising it in the future. Why should straight couples be the only ones who get to deal with the problems of a messy divorce? It's just not fair that straight people should be the only ones who have to put up with that stuff. I remember seeing a documentary on the progress of gay rights in Australia where David Marr acknowledged that it has come so far that there were just petty differences that really did not matter to the lives of the average member of the gay population (ie couples rights but not right to get married, superannuation rights for partners, etc) but, if they are so petty, why the problem in removing those differences?

No comments: