Sunday 18 December 2005

One Less Housemate

16 December - Last night was home alone for the most part - Chad has run away east for the holidays (which means I have the upstairs bathroom to myself for the next two weeks,hurrah!!!), Aaron was working, not sure about Rene or Mark and Jason had stepped out to an Vancouver environmental planning meeting (???) - upon his return we had a bit of a chat and he revealed to me that he's moving out at the end of the year. Can't say i'm too upset to see him go, he's a niceish guy but a bit of a control freak and rather selfish to boot. Not my favourite housemate by any means (it also appears that the general reaction from the rest of the household has been rather favourable to his decision). However, have no idea who's going to be his eventual replacement so won't be lighting fireworks just yet. Have laid my claim on his kitchen cupboard though, my one is rather titchy and is at the ground level and someone of my stature needs to have something at eye level so I got in quick.
Work today was absolutely hectic. I headed in early this morning - still pretty dark and all the streets and cars were filmed with white frost - i'd pretty mch just left the house when my radio bleeped and the dispatcher told me to take a diversion out to pick up a job and it barely stopped from there. I didn't even have time to get a coffee until an hour in and it wasn't long before I was heading out to the side laden down with corporate Christmas gifts and architectural plans. At one point in the day the dispatch network went down and we had to do everything by radio, which our organisation is not really made for and it caused the dispatcher to have a bit of a meltdown. It was so busy that the sooner than I got back to downtown when I was told to hand off everything to one of the bikers and head straight back to the side - I must have ridden around 80 or so k's throughout the day and my back and feet were killing me by the end. Fun didn’t end there as the driver who usually meets us after we finish to take all of the undelivered and overnight packages back to the depot didn’t turn up and while we were waitingfor him in the loading dock of 1090 Georgia (our usual evening meeting point) they shut the buildingdown and we were locked in until someone with a pass came along to rescue us. Me and Stu headed down to the Brickyard (courier watering hole) in the hope of seeng our dispatcher who mentioned that he might be goingthere so we could offload all our stuff onto him. Our usual guy never turned up but eventuallygot through to the night dispatch who sent one of the drivers down to get everything. Finish time of half seven, making it a 12 hour day, and I was so exhausted that when I got home I just ordered Japanese food and zoned out in front of the teev - exciting life i'm living in canada.

No comments: