Saturday 1 October 2005

Back in Town

30 September - Finally got on the plane at Prague after six hours of wandering, reading and rereading the paper and eating crappy airliine food. The plane was a dinky little 30 passenger thing with propellors (the last time I flew in a plane with propellors was eight years ago when I flew to Slovakia) - I remember reading in Thailand that Air Phuket was recently forced to ground all of its propellor planes because they were so old (i hope they're different planes to these ones). The flight was actually pretty smooth - very budget but it was fine - I think I was the only non-Slovakian speaking person on the plane (we were all Slovaks you see) yet they still repeated every Slovak announcement with one in English (would the French do that for one passenger??? Maybe they would if he was blind ...) - the UK and the US might have some pretty high tech fire power when it comes to passport control but it's nothing compared to Slovakia's glower power - the policeman took my passport glared at it, glared at me , stamped it and then let me through - that's the kind of border control I love ... I was met by Irina at the airport and was quickly whisked away to the town if Kosice - it was night time so didn't really have much of a chance to see the town but she had everything prepared for me ... Before dinner she asked me the unthinkable, 'Do you drink alcohol?' DO I DRINK ALCOHOL??? Yes (what has dad been saying about me behind my back - that i'm a puritan?), so we had an apeterif (any excuse for a drink over here) unfortunattly Irina is 'an old woman' (her words not mine) and therefore she drinks vermouth ... Therefore I drank vermouth but I grinned an bore it.
I was given explicit plans for what i'd be doing the next couple of days and despite having eaten all day (there's not much else to do in an airport) I was given a rather large Slovakian dinner (which I ate because i'm a collosus - I have a feeling i'll be doing a lot of eatingwhilst over here) ... Earlyish night (i was up at 4:45 you see) only marred by Irina's beautiful persian cat's spooky glowing eyes glaring at me all night long ...

No comments: