Saturday 22 October 2005

It's cold out there

21 October - Settled into the Grand Trunk Hostel, my hopefully short term accommodation in Vancouver. It's okay - although the people i've met in the hostel thus far are either Asian students who don't seem to speak any English or rather strange locals or Australians - not the most friendly bunch of people unfortunately. I'm sure there are lots of nice people out there - my first impression of Canadians was excellent but you always get a fair percentage of whack-jobs in hostels in my experience. I wish I was still staying with James, that would mean that the whack-job was a friend of mine. There's free internet here but only one computer which is in high demand (only available during day time as well) but there's also free wi-fi in the hostel so my PDA can do some limited substitution. Went for a wander last night and had a very expensive beer before coming back to the waterfront near where I lived where I saw a bunch of people being forcibly removed from one pub then accidentally found myself in a very dodgy area (all of the drug dealers hang around a couple of streets away) so I returned home. There are heaps of homeless people around the hostel, which isn't so bad but the begging is reminescent of SE Asia, there are so many of them approaching me. Also, at night time and in the morning it has proved itself to be freezing cold - will probably go look for some proper clothes today. Main plan today is to go visit some share houses for more permanent digs and then ... job hunting.

No comments: