Wednesday 26 October 2005

Being F**ked By The Man

25 September - I never received the email from the courier company telling me where to go and I found it impossible to negotiate the IVR on the company phone number to actually get to speak to someone (despite using all of my insider knowledge about how a PABX works) so I checked the address of the company on the website and decided to head over there anyway. It was on the complete other side of town, about an hours ride from where I was staying and I was a little late. However, when I got there BJ (short for Bjarni - it's Icelandic) was waiting for me - we had a bit of a chat and he pretty much said I could start as soon as I got my licence plate. The pay is not great and there are few benefits but i'll get a pretty cool uniform as far as any uniform can be considered cool (and the blue colour (sorry, color, i'm in america now) goes with my bike) - unfortunately it will be a waiting game until I can get my ID card and then licence - so, I could potentially have started work today but the man is keeping me down. It'll give me a chance to do some tourist stuff (still haven't down any yet) and also try to learn the intricacies of the downtown core, which is where i'll be working. So, now, it's just a matter of time - hope I don't go broke whilst waiting for the stuff to sort itself out though.
Also had a very nice bagel and coffee afterwards - and also found that there's a half marathon coming up in November, which I think I should do - that does mean I have to reall start running again though ...

No comments: