Saturday 15 October 2005

Classy Establishment

13 September - When I woke up this morning and came downstairs I noticed smething that I normally wouldn't have noticed. One of the housemates, the rascal and general ne'erdowell Bob (one of his most significant contributions to my travel knowledge was teaching me how to backroll a spliff), had apparently left his shoes, bag and phone in the kitchen. I didn't really pay it any mind until a little bit later when he called the household informing us that he was currently being detained at her majesty's pleasure. The rogue had been charged with trespassing - his crime, skateboarding in the park at night time. Unfortunately society is still in danger of his nefarious ways because he was let out that day.
The one day that I decided to go out without a rainjacket (also the day that I decided to put out some washing) was the day that a torrential downpour was inflicted on the city - I hid out from the worst of it by visiting the national gallery, which was nice but I was still a bit fatigued from all of the culture that i've been absorbing so I wasn't completely blown away.
I also went for another sesh of bikram yoga and felt completely at one with the universe for a while. Unfortunately, this was not to last as that night I went to grand opening (one of the grand openings anyway) of London's most salubrious and newest bar and kitchen, the Trading House, under the general management of Messeuirs James Templeman. There we were treated to Kasteel Cru, the champagne of beers! (according to James it doesn't even taste like beer ... Why anyone would to drink a beer that didn't taste of beer is anyone's guess but I thought it was very nice ... And it tasted like beer). Also present were the cream of Clerkenwell's underworld although there were no shootings at all, which was very disappointing. A highlight of the night was seeing a rather desperate couple begging to be allowed in when I arrived and I was whisked inside with a minimum of fuss. Had to stumble home in a bit of a state though, unhelped by the fact that the Northern tube line has been shut down for a few days - but a capital night nonetheless.

No comments: