Friday 30 September 2005

The Terminal

29 September - Got back to London from Paris yesterday - had trouble working out where I needed to get the bus from Waterloo to Camberwell - wandered around for a bit and one thing led to another and I ended up walking all the way (not very far though, London really isn't that big) - had an early start the next day so me and Kimberley went out to the local cinema in Peckham and saw 'Pride and Prejudice' - I have to admit that I did like the Bridget Jones prequel BBC version that from a few years back but costume dramas are always a bit hit and miss. I think I just find the characters so damn repulsive - they don't do anything! Romancing and dancing and playing stupid mind games on each other ... and living off the labours of the working poor - i'm really surprised that the English didn't have a bloody revolution to send all those fops to a premature end. Still, it was kind of fun.
This morning I woke up at 4:45 and made my way to Stansted Airport, had no trouble getting there and was early for my flight. However, once we got on the plane we were informed that there was something happening at Prague and we'd be slightly delayed - no problem I thought. However, as we neared our destination I realised that my flight was due to depart whilst I was still in the air - we touched down and I ran out to my gate, I saw that my connecting flight had been delayed a bit anyway and was still boarding, however, by the time I arrived at the gate the girl told me, 'You are late!', I replied, 'No, you were late!' but there's not much you can do when the plane is already in the air.
Went to the transit desk and told them my predicament - they were pretty good about it (i think it must happen pretty often around here) and they gave me a refreshment voucher, a new plane ticket and they let me make two phone calls - unfortunately Irina's number (dad's ex wife) was answered by someone who spoke no ENglish (i think the number I had was off by a digit), I then got through to Stano (first cousin by marriage) i'm not sure if I properly conveyed the facts of the situation but passed on a message to Kosice airport and hoped for the best. Managed to squirm my way into the business lounge and had to buy credit to use the wifi there (very upset about having to pay for it, it goes against my whole philosphy of wifi) but sent off some emails and Skyped M&D who promised to make some calls to let everyone know the score. Have now got a couple of hours to kill in the transit section of the airport but had some dodgy Czech airport food to keep me going for a while (as well as a bottle of Jamesons which was going to be used at the other end but I feel i'm entitled to have a crack at it) ... I have to conclude though that airports ar actually very dull places when you;ve got to hang around them for any real length of time ...

No comments: