Monday 19 September 2005

Still Recovering

18 September - Despite pushing through as late as possible and trying to force myself to keep on sleeping in morning I'm still finding myself in the grip of jet lag. Considering that i've not crossed too many serious time zones in my life it's probably not surprising. Also my minor injuries from the motorcycle accident were causin a little bit of discomfort but seem to be mostly mollified now.
Have done a little bit of exploring thus far - went on a proper run through the city aninto Hyde Park where I criss-crossed it a few times before finally findingthe exit and heading back. Lots of other runners in the park some of them going very hard - also saw dozens of little squirrels crossing the path which was very cute.
I still can't get over how much better it is to do it over here than in Asia - it's sunny but very, very brisk. I have a feeling that my Asian wardrobe is going to cause a few issues - already it's been less than 5 degrees at night time - i'm not sure if my plan to get warm stuff in Canadia is going to be very viable. I also have to presume that the cold dry weather is dramatically causing a reduction in the lifespan of my collection of hair elastics that was bought somewhere in Thailand. In Thailand I had no problem - they would stretch a little bit and do their job with no issues - over here, i'll be walking or running or just sitting down and i'll hear a little snap and my hair will just boof out a bit. They're cheap plasticky things (you have no idea how hard it is to find hair elastics in Thailand) but they were fine in their home country - it is as if they've become despondent and suicidal when taken so far from home. I think i'll have to find some english ones.
Went out shopping in Carnaby St and a few other inner city places with Bob, one of the flatmatts here, very nice but rather obsessed by skating and surfing. He just presumed that i'd want to get skate shoes so they were the shops we went too. Was good to have a local guide though although a lot of the places we went to brought back memories of when I was here before. I don’t think i'll have to much trouble getting my bearings around London. Plan on doing some proper exploration tomorrow because todaythe plan is to get to the country and do a rather extended wander through the fields. Didn't get out of London too much the last time so will be glad to do it.
also got in touch with a few people I know including the one and only james templeman who is working very hard in his trendy bar in Leicester Squar. Was planning to get out to see him yesterday but the evil tendrils of fatigue prevented that - however, it will be very excitingto see him again.
Also had a very bad realisation the other day - it appears that my bag, despite being locked, was forced open (the ring that the lock went through was snapped open) and the contents violated. The only piece of equipment that seems to be missing is my rather crappy camera which ordinarily wouldn't be so bad (seeing as it wasn't of high quality) but all the photographs from the trip were in it. I'd not backed them up in Asia for several reasons, hoping to do it over here. I was hoping that i'd just hidden it really well in my bag (which I had) but now i've had to come to the conclusion that it is gone - shit.

No comments: