Wednesday 7 September 2005

FW: Wat Fatigue (Templed Out)

5 September - Had a pleasant night last, I saw an ad on the back of a tuk-tuk for Blue Pumpkin, a Siem Reap café that apparntly had free wi-fi. It took a bit of wandering through town before I finally found it and it was one of the most amazing places i've seen in my travels. Straight out of Sex and the City or American Psycho - just way too trendy for a dusty little town like Siem Reap. All the decore was pure white and very severe - a long couchy kind of sitting bench a metre off the ground with little breakfast-in-bed trays and very over-priced café lattes. And, free wi-fi. I synced up and got the news and my mail and then skyped a few people back at home - this little toy of mine has proven to be an absolutely invaluable travelling companion - the only thing it wants is a lonely planet style guidebook program and it would be perfect. Once I settle i'm going to have to search for some venture capital to work it all out.
Afterwards I had a craving for a pizza and went to one of the local establishments that had a good deal on. After I ordered they asked me if I wanted it 'happy' - whatever do you mean, I asked? Ganja, she replied. Oh, well, that should be interesting. Certainly added to the flavour - and it quite a nice pizza too.
Later I wandered over to the drinkin street and had a beer - I fended off some of the local prostitutes for a while before being rescued by Rebecca (Irish girl from Nha Trang) and I joined them and we were presently joined by Steve (Welshman from last night) - pretty much a replica of the night before. My bottom was still so sore from riding out to Banteay Srei that I had to appropriate two cushions from other seats in the bar - the blind massage helped with recovery somewhat but i'll be off bicycles for the rest of this trip I think.
Today's Wat tour was the grand tour - about four or five on a slightly larger circuit from the main big ones. None of them were as grand as Angkor Wat or Bayon but there was some very impressive ruins. I had to get a moto out there due to my bike injuries (well, they're kind of injuries) but it was a very relaxing day. Also stayed out to see the sunset at Phnom Bakheng which was quite nice but there were about a thousand people who had the same idea so I didn't stay all that long. But, am completely templed out now and will be quite happy not to step into a house dedicated to a mythical figure(s) for the rest of my holiday.

No comments: