Saturday 10 September 2005

Isle of the Turtles

9 September - Spent some very very quiet time in Ko Phagnan yesterday. The guest house I was at, whilst quite nice, was a little bit like a cemetery in atmosphere. I want to relax but also want a little bit of human interaction. One traveler, an American commune hippie, whom i'd met on the boat was there so we went for dinner together. A few more people on one of the beaches but way too quiet so I booked the boat to Ko Toa the next day. This involved cancelling a daytrip i'd already paid for and it was a very long winded process getting the lady who ran the place to do. She was quite nice but a little sinister and she took forever to do anything. Always "no problem, no problem" I do later, I have to ask my sister ... before she'd turn back to her cigarette and thai soaps. She was a little bit emotional when we left the next day ... making me promise that i'd stay with her and she was going to miss me so much before giving me a hug and a kiss.
Ko Tao seems to have a few more people where I am which is nice and although it was very overcast today i've been told it will be sunny for tomorrow;s diving.
also went for a run this morning for about ninety minutes, the longest in ages, it was a lot flatter than yesterday and a bit cooler and I was very proud of nyself upon my return.
Also, anyone who's reading this should spare a thought for the region of Pai in North Thailand. Josh, the American i'd met on the boat had been living up in Pai for the last eighteen months and just before he left about three weeks ago there was an enormous flood, partly naturally caused but also due to illegal logging operations in the mountains. The town has been virtually wiped out and it was relatively as destructive as the New Orleans flood (obviously on a smaller scale though). there have been few deaths but many of the buildings and property has been completely swept away. It is a much smaller task to bring this town back than in New Orleans but they also have much less resources and help than the city of new orleans has.

No comments: