Wednesday 21 September 2005

Saturday Night Fever On A Monday

20 september - I think i'm well and truly recovered from the jetlag/sleep deprivation problems that plagued the beginning of the london trip. Felt that i'd not received a proper dosage of culture since I arrived so made my way out to the British Museum in Tottenham Court Road. I'm pretty sure that I never went there last time as I was in london (don't know why I would have missed it though) because it seemed a bit unfamiliar (the area was certainly not though). Very impressive collections of egyptian, greek, roman and other aniquities including many, many, many jars - which i've been informed have been used my many historical cultures. The museum is so well organised and so well stocked. There were a few notices acknowledging the unethical acquisition of some of the museum's possessions but most of the parthenon is still at the british museum so it's obviously not something they're too worried about.
After that I wandered through SoHo and reacquinted myself with all the bars and shops that I used to frequent (my old workplace, Burlington Berties, a seedy cocktail bar, has morphed into Sirocco, an equally seedy lounge bar) not much else had changed except for all the people (no familiar faces). A few creepy people aside it was very enjoyable.
Most importantly, finally, after several false starts (mostly my fault for not being able to function in the evenings) I finally caught up with Mr James Templeman, bar manager of London's most exclusive watering hole, the Penthouse. Ajoyful reunion was followed by a showing of the musical version of 'Saturday Night Fever' (the well connected James had a contact in the business - the lovely Kate who I think hands out flyers for discount tickets). Extremely cheesy, the high drama of toughness of life in Brooklyn doesn't really translate to the screen but the players were all incredibly gorgeous and completely overtalented. The dancingwould have to be some of the most impressive footwork i've ever seen (although there was some very fancy stepping at the trancy Half Moon Party on Ko Phagnan) and the songs were all kind of nice ... I guess.

No comments: