Friday 2 September 2005

Angkor Town

2 September - Woke up this morning very early (for my bus to Phnom Penh) very glad to not be feeling the effects of my latest cold and stomach cramps but unfortunately hampered by the somewhat unfamiliar illness of a hangover. Caught up with the tour group for some beers and dinner (the best meal i've had in Cambodia) along with a few tokes of a somewhat more illicit substance.
The trip to Phnom Penh was quite awful - Khmer karaoke was blaring the entire way. Met a very nice Khmer farmer who practicsed his Enlish with me for a while tho. After this I had a brief wait for my connecting bus to Siem Reap. It was horrible - air conditioning wasn't working, the woman in front of me kept on puttingher seat back as far as it would go and the woman next to me was crossing her legs and taking up half my seat. Extremely uncomfortable (especially with the hangover) but eventually made it to the destination. I got off the bus and was greeted by the worst crowd of motodrivers i've seen in my entire trip. A dozen of them were surrounding me, shouting, grabbing me, pulling my shirt, in the end I had to get back on the bus because they wouldn't let up. Had a bit of a trial finding a guesthouse, but have found a pretty awful one that should do the trick. Tomorrow up at 5 to see the sunrise at Angkor Wat. Should be very enlightening.
Have noticed that my skin is getting very brown right now. I'm not sure what's causing it, maybe my body is adapting, evolving chameleon-like if you will to try to blend in with my surroundings (like the man who was more gowachin than the gowachin and later more dosadi than the dosadi, I could be becoming more mongoloid than the mongoloid), most likely it is darkening as a reflection of my tortured soul, hell, maybe it's because i'm getting too much sun.

No comments: