Wednesday 14 September 2005

Dark and Stormy Morning

14 September - Have arrived in Bangkok after a particularly unpleasant bus trip. No leg room whatsoever and the air con on full blast (i was warned about how cold it can get on these buses and this was the worst thus far) - eventually got into town only to find the drop off is in the middle of nowhere and the bus actually arrived on time (5am) and it was raining buckets. Got a taxi into Khao San where I hoped to find somewhere to leave my bag and to sort out a ticket to the airport tonight. KS road was like a ghost street so the tuk tuk driver took me a bit further down the road to the only place that was open, the Sawasdee Khaosan Inn, the very same hotel where I spent my first two nights in Bangkok. They organise a bus and have bag storage but I still needed to kill a few hours before the rest of the town wakes up and it hopefull stops raining so I reluctantly chose to wait here and partake of their awful buffet breakfast - even at 5 in the morning everything is cold - when do they make it, 3? The most likely answer is, of course, yesterday.
Eventually broke away from the hotel and went for some proper pancakes from the lady on the corner who i've gone to every morning i've spent in bangkok and had a very nice thai massage (am going to miss them very much) before heading to MBK by omnibus. Did some shopping, stressed out about not finding shoes in my size, saw a movie, stood up for the king and eventually returned back to KS road. Not a very productive day in terms of sight seeing but it never stopped raining and i'm quite glad I finally got a little bit of shopping done.
Am just finishing off this missive in a dingy little restaurant and am enjoying what could well be my last Singha beer before leaving this wonderful country behind.
When i've done this i'll go and sync up so I have news to read on the plane then i'll probably have a last thai meal (the airport doesn't have thai food it has airport food) and a banana pancake before hitting the road and then the tarmac and then the air ... And so the Asian odyssey will end.

No comments: