Wednesday 16 May 2007

Smoking Saves

15 and 16 May – Started the day with an interesting but prolonged chat with the CCC gentleman and I don’t think the answers I gave him were exactly what he wanted but he didn’t seem too perturbed.  Going independent would be a very interesting development in the courier industry but not sure if I’ve got the commitment to carry through for the long term.  Ditto with any furthering of my career in the devil’s industry of stealing money from weak willed souls – as I may have previously posted if that particular confidential proposal did not come through I was not going to be disappointed.  And I’m not.  Despite lots of quiet moments throughout the day there was superb quality of work – scammed a very nice wine run out of Perpetual – as I was leaving I noticed a trolley of wine bottles coming out on the mailroom floor. Let the dispatcher know that something big was coming and ensured that I’d be a part of it (also let the shifty character in on the game so he took some of the action as well).  Indy work went perfectly with the real work for a change and I had a lot of luck with the mailroom boys having smoke breaks (came up to Chifley to drop a B&B and saw the clerk puffing away – gave him the envelope and he gave it to the addressee who was sitting right next to him, which was quite a score).  Evening was full of other pleasantries although one of the little people is still in a rather sulking mood and whilst it’s not necessarily a big issue right now there is the potential for more serious ramifications which would definitely not do anyone any good.  After a strange dream filled sleep, none of which I can remember, had one of the quietest AMs I can remember that dragged out until I had an early luncheon with father (which was very timely as I’d run out of disposable cash on that day after a paper (plastic???) money fuelled frenzy that had lasted for weeks.  Mother’s caramel slice went down a treat with some of the courier boys and shortly afterwards all the burnt tobacco offerings I’ve sent up to Hermes started to pay off – a rather hectic afternoon filled with mistaken routes, large banners and even a trip down to Redfern (where I was unfortunately hurried away by TPTB) - Clarence St is very sketchy after hours – generally one of my more favoured South-North arteries but come 5 o’clock during the winter (???) and it’s a bus choked wasteland, so many blinding lights and hardly an inch to spare between the lumbering people transporters.  Not too much fun.  

No comments: