Thursday 10 May 2007

A Dilemma

8 May – Ah, the joys of sleeping in ... Not that it was a real sleep in but it was close.  Finally managed to speak to TPTB at Toll to sort out the bureaucracy and then spent several hours waiting for a driver to turn up with the paperwork (he’d been given the job as a P1 but he’s a driver so you can’t really expect him to get there in time) - after waiting for an eon wandered down to the BP to replenish the milk supply and as I came back I noticed a utility parked on Margaret St with some boxes in the back.  Had a sneaking suspicion it may have been the vehicle I was waiting for an after peering through the window I managed to make out the instructions on the Toll labelled computer which had a very familiar address on it.  Unfortunately no driver to speak of.  Looked around for a bit but couldn’t find him and, after dropping the grocery (there was only one item) in the flat I wandered back down to find him.  Managed to catch him just before he drove off but I have no doubt I’ll be waiting a while before the numbers start coming in.  Had a rather interesting meeting at the AB for a private and confidential project that’s coming off the ground and was given a slightly tempting offer which I’m going to have to think about for a while but the logistics and scale might mean I’m going to have to reluctantly decline – and that’s nothing to say for the ethical dilemma I’d have to endure if I did give into the temptation.  I’ve declined on ethical grounds before on this subject and I may well have to do so again.  Got cracked around a bit in the afternoon which I hope had some benefits – all goes to plan I should see the streets proper very soon.  
Despite not really having any interest in going I was slightly compelled by the fact that it was Tuesday to head to the cinema to see Spiderman 3 and was pleasantly disappointed.  Critics 1 – Box Office 0.  It’s not that the film was tightly packed with clichés – that’s to be expected, it is a Marvel blockbuster and that’s to be expected – but that the clichés were so ineptly rendered in Mr Raimi’s latest offering.  The OTT fight scenes were bigger and better than previous but ultimately uninspiring, the buddy banter between the newly reconciled team of Spiderman and Goblin was unbelievable as was the bizarrely reconstructed subplot of Ben Parker’s “real” killer being discovered once he’s turned into a super villain (I can hardly believe that the New York Police Department would keep track of a suspect of a car jacking murder for over two years and I’m also starting to get tired of the continuing Spiderman theme of all of the villains becoming bad only once they get their super powers).  The minimal usage of JK Simmons was criminal – the one character worth seeing in the entire series and he’s got no more than a few minutes of screen time – deplorable.  And, more than anything, the fact that Parker and MJ are shown just hugging as friends at the end, while not terrible in its own right, is basically setting up the series for another addition to the increasingly tired franchise.  And if this has been a spoiler for anyone reading this who hasn’t seen the movie then too bad, my evening was spoiled by going to the movie in the first place – why should you be complaining?

No comments: